Caravan wiring??

Old June 5th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich

Default Caravan wiring??

Hi all, bit new to this and I am interested in how the caravan electrical
systems work with a mains hook up and also running 12 volts from the car
when moving ?
Can someone point me towards a web site or possibly e mail me diagrams as I
can understand it is probably quite complicated..

Rich

--
To reply remove " spam "

Old June 5th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Rich said the following on 05/06/2005 21:03:
Hi all, bit new to this and I am interested in how the caravan electrical
systems work with a mains hook up and also running 12 volts from the car
when moving ?
Can someone point me towards a web site or possibly e mail me diagrams as I
can understand it is probably quite complicated..

Rich

Why would you want to use the 12v and 240v whilst moving? - you may need
an awful long hookup lead!

Roy

Old June 6th 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Rich wrote:

Hi all, bit new to this and I am interested in how the caravan
electrical systems work with a mains hook up and also running 12
volts from the car when moving ?
Can someone point me towards a web site or possibly e mail me
diagrams as I can understand it is probably quite complicated..

Rich

It's all quite simple really!

The road lighting is of course 12v, and driven from the car - just as for
any trailer.

Most of the internal electrics - lighting, water pump, toilet flush etc. -
are 12v and are powered from the caravan battery to make the van useable
when no mains hookup is available. There is usually a switch to enable these
to be powered from the car battery instead (when the grey cable is connected
to the car's 12S socket) - but go easy on this, or you may flatten the car
battery and be unable to start the engine!

The mains hookup feeds a power unit which charges the caravan battery and
also provides a couple of mains 13A sockets for plugging in mains
equipment - but often limited by the site supply to 10A or less - so *don't*
use heavy current devices like fast boil kettles! The mains also powers the
water heater and fridge - as explained below.

The water heater is usually mains *and* gas. You would normally use one or
the other, but could use both at the same time, if desired. When using gas,
a 12v supply is also required for the control system.

The fridge will usually be capable of running from the mains, or gas, or
12V. However, the 12v option uses a lot of current which would flatten the
van battery very quickly - so is only used when travelling, when the current
is provided by the towcar's alternator. This is invariably wired through a
relay so that it is *only* powered when the engine is running.

This is all explained in the Haynes Caravan Manual. You may find a copy in
your local library.

The exact wiring varies from van to van - but there is usually a wiring
diagram in the Owner Handbook for the appropriate make and model of caravan.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old June 6th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich

Thanks for the information I will see if I can find a Haynes manual and go
from there.

Thanks
Richard

Old June 6th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Rich" wrote in message
Thanks for the information I will see if I can find a Haynes manual and go
from there.

Thanks
Richard

Halfords do them ........... another Richard