mobile internet

Old August 8th 03, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Hilton

Default mobile internet

I have just returned from 4 weeks touring in France. Used my Sony VAIO
laptop with bluetooth USB module to a Nokia 6310i. This is GPRS enabled and
worked on SFR (Vodafone) from Normandy to the Pyrenees. Connection speed is
115kb and I reckoned the overall data rate to be a bit faster than a 56k
modem when using Explorer for surfing........

However, the main frustration was not connecting to the Network, that was
quick, the problem was the long wait for either Tiscali Webmail to roll out
its pages. Typically I had to halt and refresh three times to get the
password in and then the same again for the Inbox. Hotmail was no better.
The real irritation though was seeing the kb count rise on those infernal
advertising banners and sometimes I got half a meg of crap and never got as
far as the inbox.
I am still waiting for the bill.

What is needed for this technically good service to be quick and affordable
is a text only mail service. I am sure these must exist and I need to find
one before my next trip.
John

Old August 14th 03, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Delboy

"John Hilton" wrote in message
Yes that will work fine but you will automatically download any

attachments
sent to you and that could result in high data charges.
John

Want to access Internet myself when away in van as I look after a range of
web stores for people, yet to find a reliable but inexpensive option.

Have you tried Mail Washer with the POP account?

http://www.mailwasher.net

Gets rid of spam and just downloads headers. You can also read start of
message to see if its important. Probably easiest way to sort through email
without heavy bandwidth use.

And Opera browser also has an option to just download message headers, along
with its minimal mode and the ability to surf without images. For ad banners
there are various tools to remove them...

Derek

Old August 14th 03, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"Delboy" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Have you tried Mail Washer with the POP account?

http://www.mailwasher.net

Gets rid of spam and just downloads headers. You can also read start of
message to see if its important. Probably easiest way to sort through

email
without heavy bandwidth use.

I tend not to use my Mailwasher when away because you have to download twice
and on dialup it takes ages

Ophelia

Old August 15th 03, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , Ophelia
says...

Thanks.. sounds interesting. Can you point me to it?
Ophelia

I will hunt for it and post the link, be patient.
It' is now free and unsupported, used to cost.
If you have difficulty in getting it - mail me.

Thanks

Old August 15th 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , Ophelia
says...

[snip]

I tend not to use my Mailwasher when away because you have to download

twice
and on dialup it takes ages
Ophelia

You might then try using Calypso as a mail client.
It is half the overhead of MSOE and most other clients
also you have no need to use mailwasher since Calypso
does it itself based upon one of the best user freindly
filter systems I have used. If you wish, you can block
anything that does not conform to what you want. The endless
flexibility means that not only does the spam not get through
but nor do the headers. It reads whats on the server and
then reads your filters then only downloads headers that
are not filtered. Then you can decide what you want.

It's free and works brilliantly.
One more thing, it is damn fast!!! and you have no
double download problem. For mobile access I'd say
its cheaper to use than anything else. Say goodby
to viruses as well.

I'm coming back late to this thread - sorry if I'm missing something but...

A minor point, but how can Calypso only download headers that get through
your filter - doesn't it need to download them all in order to match them
against your filter?

I've just spent a fair bit of time (and money) getting myself set up for
accessing both the internet and my company's intranet from the 'van. I've
opted for a gprs card in my laptop and a gprs service from O2. Setup was
fairly easy and connection speed is 56k. You have an always on connection
and only pay for data you down/upload. O2 offer a VPN option which is
essential for getting through company firewalls - as far as I can see this
is the only such service. As a bonus you can also use the card as a regular
gsm phone .

Until wireless broadband arrives at sites then it is essential to limit
traffic over the connection and I've found the best way to be web based
outlook email and internet explorer. Make sure you switch off all multimedia
downloads in IE. All graphics are replaced with icons and if you want to see
a picture etc you just click on the icon. Web based mail tells you the size
of messages and attachments and lets you download only those you choose to.

I know there is software outside MS but let's face it, with the resources
those guys have, they generally come up with the best solutions.

Pete

Old August 15th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

Ok this is going OT a bit - but as long as it's geared towards getting out
in the van I think it's relevant.

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , Pete says...

A minor point, but how can Calypso only download headers that get through
your filter - doesn't it need to download them all in order to match them
against your filter?

It reads the mail on the mail server and
compares with the filter parameters you
set. Any mail which triggers a filters
parameter is left on the server and a
message given to the server to either
trash it or keep there or whatever you
have defined. The client reads the mail
on the server it does not download headers
to your machine unless you tell it to.

Unless you're talking about some special purpose email system, then in order
for Calpso to check the headers against the filters it needs to download
those headers. I'm not aware of any general protocol for copying filter info
to a mail server and doing remote filtering but perhaps I missed something.

Similar to accessing mail via a web based
account. You read it on the remote server
not your machine which if you like is
emulating a terminal.

Its safer that way

What exactly does "read it on the remote server" mean here?
Are we talking about some form of telepathy or something?

I've just spent a fair bit of time (and money) getting myself set up for
accessing both the internet and my company's intranet from the 'van. I've
opted for a gprs card in my laptop and a gprs service from O2. Setup was
fairly easy and connection speed is 56k. You have an always on connection
and only pay for data you down/upload. O2 offer a VPN option which is
essential for getting through company firewalls - as far as I can see

this
is the only such service. As a bonus you can also use the card as a

regular
gsm phone .

Until wireless broadband arrives at sites then it is essential to limit
traffic over the connection and I've found the best way to be web based
outlook email and internet explorer.

Read my response above. Calypso works in the
same way - that's why its fast. Also it only
has a quarter or less of the overhead that
MSOE has.

As I said, you need to use web based Outlook not OE - then you get to choose
what you download.

Make sure you switch off all multimedia
downloads in IE. All graphics are replaced with icons and if you want to

see
a picture etc you just click on the icon. Web based mail tells you the

size
of messages and attachments and lets you download only those you choose

to.

I know there is software outside MS but let's face it, with the resources
those guys have, they generally come up with the best solutions.

No they bloody well don't.

Oh come on, what's the point in fighting battles that have been fought and
won.
Let's give credit to MS for some really brilliant stuff.
Windows XP and 2k are really extremely stable powerful OS's - much better
than the toys you get from Apple and the likes.

Tell you what - you get yourself a copy of
Calypso, set it up and then compare performance
with OE. It's way faster, safer, not susceptible
to exploits, inherently resists viruses by virtue
of the way it opperates and uses so little processing
power that on a 56k link its like greased weasel ****.

And yet it uses Internet Explorer for HTML.
I just don't see how you can beat a simple non-graphical web based mail
reader - the only traffic is html strings which will be mostly message text
and a few tokens.

I strongly recommend that you do not fall into the
MS is god trap that a lot of people do.

I like MS they've made a valuable contribution to the computer industry.
Without MS we'd be paying a lot more for h/w and s/w would be a tower of
babel

Anyway, the bottom line (imho) for anyone wanting to read their email do a
bit of surfing is

-GPRS (fast and charged by the byte)
-Web based mail
-switch off all multimedia