Another 12S question.....

Old June 7th 05, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Default Another 12S question.....

Hi all

Tony Maris helped me out some time ago with the wiring of my 12S
socket - but things have changed....

I've got a brand new car - with a factory fitted towbar. On the
original instructions Tony said link pins 6 to 2, and 7 to 5. He
mentioned though that the black, white and brown in the car all need
to be earthed. As I wired my own car last time, I did it to this
specification.

Is there any easy way to tell if my new car is the same? I am off to
France at the weekend and am a little nervous about damaging something
if the brown is not earthed. Would I be best to just remove the
links?

Thanks in advance

Simon Hawthorne

Old June 7th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Halleys

"Simon Hawthorne" wrote in message
Hi all

Tony Maris helped me out some time ago with the wiring of my 12S
socket - but things have changed....

I've got a brand new car - with a factory fitted towbar. On the
original instructions Tony said link pins 6 to 2, and 7 to 5. He
mentioned though that the black, white and brown in the car all need
to be earthed. As I wired my own car last time, I did it to this
specification.

Is there any easy way to tell if my new car is the same? I am off to
France at the weekend and am a little nervous about damaging something
if the brown is not earthed. Would I be best to just remove the
links?

Thanks in advance

Simon Hawthorne

It is likely that your brown will not be earthed. Its only us 'in the know'
that add an additional earth to assist the black pin 7 earth.

Cheers

Old June 7th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:38:11 +0100, "Halleys" s a l e s @ h a l l e y
c a r a v a n s . c o . u k wrote:

It is likely that your brown will not be earthed. Its only us 'in the know'
that add an additional earth to assist the black pin 7 earth.

Ahh, I see.

Would it do any harm then David to leave the two 'links' in the 12S
socket - or should I rmeove them (do you think)? If it isn't earthed
- then am I correct in thinking it won't be connected to anything - so
the links wouldn't matter anyway?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Old June 8th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

c a r a v a n s . c o . u k wrote:

It is likely that your brown will not be earthed. Its only us 'in the

know'
that add an additional earth to assist the black pin 7 earth.

Ahh, I see.

Would it do any harm then David to leave the two 'links' in the 12S
socket - or should I rmeove them (do you think)? If it isn't earthed
- then am I correct in thinking it won't be connected to anything - so
the links wouldn't matter anyway?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Simon,

It shouldn't be connected to anything, but.... then again......

Is there no way you can find the end of the cable and have a look.

Cheers

Old June 8th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:03:26 GMT, "David @ Home"
wrote:

Is there no way you can find the end of the cable and have a look.

Hi David

Not without removing all the trim to try and find the 'other end'.
Think I'll just remove the links for now - just in case. I've left it
a bit late - should have thought about it earlier...

Thanks for your help (again!)

Simon

Old June 8th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

wrote:

Is there no way you can find the end of the cable and have a look.

Hi David

Not without removing all the trim to try and find the 'other end'.
Think I'll just remove the links for now - just in case. I've left it
a bit late - should have thought about it earlier...

Thanks for your help (again!)

Simon

Leave the link between the white and black. It means you don't have a
seperate earth for charging and fridge, but does support the black if the
centre pin gets a bit loose in its socket.

Cheers