Me again, back with some simple questions :-)

Old June 7th 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alexhaden

Default Me again, back with some simple questions :-)

Good Mornin!

Ok, now that i have had the pleasure of having a blow out on the car while
towing, i dont want to get one on the ole' caravan, so i have one nice easy
question..

I know i need spare tyre - Thats all sorted out - The burning question is
.....Will the Jack that comes with the car do the trick, or do i need a
proper one? and a torque wrench? is that a nessesity?

Ta!

Old June 7th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:37:25 +0000 (UTC), "alexhaden"
wrote:

| Good Mornin!
|
| Ok, now that i have had the pleasure of having a blow out on the car while
| towing, i dont want to get one on the ole' caravan, so i have one nice easy
| question..
|
| I know i need spare tyre - Thats all sorted out

Think about Tyron bands http://www.tyron.com/tyron/tyron.htm
If you have a flat on the van you do not notice for some time, the tyre may
have well parted company with the wheel.
I have them fitted but am waiting for a practical test. ;-)
CCC insurance gives 10% discaount if you have them fitted

| - The burning question is
| ....Will the Jack that comes with the car do the trick,

No

| or do i need a
| proper one?

YES! The scissors jack which came with my van was *useless*. If you have
an Alko chassis get the Alko one for your van.

| and a torque wrench? is that a nessesity?

No, just useful if you know what torque the wheel nuts need.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Beware of anyone posting X-No-Archive yes,
Old June 7th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 7th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

alexhaden wrote:

Good Mornin!

Ok, now that i have had the pleasure of having a blow out on the car
while towing, i dont want to get one on the ole' caravan, so i have
one nice easy question..

I know i need spare tyre - Thats all sorted out - The burning
question is ....Will the Jack that comes with the car do the trick,
or do i need a proper one? and a torque wrench? is that a nessesity?

Ta!

The jack which comes with the car will likely *not* do the job. It is
probably designed to fit into special holes in the car cill - which won't be
present on the caravan - and probably has insufficient lifting capacity.
[Half of a caravan is usually a lot heavier than one corner of a car].

Buy yourself a small 2-tonne trolley jack from the likes of Argos. It will
lift the caravan with ease - and make a better job of lifting the car than
the supplied jack - as long as you only jack under suitable structural
points (see the car handbook).

Ideally all wheelnuts should be tightened with a torque wrench - but it's
not that difficult to get a 'feel' for the correct tightness without. After
all, car makers only supply a simple wrench for fitting the spare (although
they usually advise having the nuts properly torqued ASAP afterwards). [I
don't think that I've *ever* used a torque wrench on car or caravan wheel
nuts in over 40 years of motoring].
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old June 7th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

alexhaden came up with the following;:

....Will the Jack that comes with the car do the trick,

Not unless it's like my Landrover which carries a choice of the standard
bottle jack and wheel chock, a Hi-lift jack for off-roading and a trolley
jack when caravanning/racing.

or do i need a proper one?

Ideally yes, a proper jack for the caravan chassis is needed.

and a torque wrench?

A torque wrench isn't necessary and can give false readings, possibly
leading to complacency, if not used properly.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old June 7th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alexhaden

Thanks all :-)

Off to argos... not right now though, in the morning

Old June 8th 05, 06:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

"alexhaden" wrote in message
Good Mornin!

Ok, now that i have had the pleasure of having a blow out on the car
while
towing, i dont want to get one on the ole' caravan, so i have one nice
easy
question..

I know i need spare tyre - Thats all sorted out - The burning question is
....Will the Jack that comes with the car do the trick, or do i need a
proper one? and a torque wrench? is that a nessesity?

Ta!

A friend runs a small service workshop and took on an "apprentice" from
another firm which had ceased trading. Watching him tighten up the wheel
bolts on a car, using a torque wrench of the clicking variety, he noticed
that the boy added another quarter turn after the wrench had clicked. The
boy said the extra quarter turn was to just make sure the bolt was fully
tightened!

The torque settings for wheel bolts are to ensure that the wheel doesn't
come off and the bolts not stretched, thus weakening them. I don't
normally, unless I am away, carry a torque wrench with me and if I do have
to change a wheel always check that the bolts have been properly tightened
when I get home. The miserable wheel bolt spanners provided with most cars
today seemed to be designed to ensure that enough leverage cannot be applied
to ensure the bolt is fully tightened. (If you have special locking wheel
nuts these often are of a different size to the standard nuts).