satellite question

Old August 8th 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Hilton

Default satellite question

I have just returned from the Pyrenees where I was able to receive BBC, ITV
and all the other ASTRA 28 deg East Northbeam transmissions in perfect
quality with the standard 45cm Murdoch dish. There is one thing you have to
do to achieve this though.
The LNB is skewed in its plastic housing to optimise it for a UK receiving
location. In Southern France, being closer to the equator the angle of the
vertical receiving element needs to be rotated as far clockwise (looking at
dish from LNB) as possible. Loosen the Philips screw underneath to effect
this. The Southbeam transmissions will work fine without this mod but the
Northbeam ones won't.

I didn't go into Spain to see how far it would work but did have an 80cm
dish with me in case the minidish wasn't up to the job in Southern France.

With the 45cm dish rigged on a temporary mounting on the back of my
Discovery I was able to watch the Eurosport coverage of the Tour de France
parked at the roadside, 1000 metres up the last mountain climb on the Pau -
Bayonne stage on 23rd July. Whilst Eurosport is on Southbeam I nevertheless
was able to watch BBC and ITV channels without any difficulty.
John