AKS2004 Stabiliser

Old June 7th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

Default AKS2004 Stabiliser

I will soon be taking delivery of a Mitsubishi Shogun. to tow my van. The
van is fitted with an Alko AKS2004 Stabiliser, can anyone tell me whether or
not I will have trouble hitching up with this stabiliser bearing in mind
that the spare wheel is mounted on the rear door.

Tony Falla

Old June 7th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Tony Falla" wrote in message
I will soon be taking delivery of a Mitsubishi Shogun. to tow my van. The
van is fitted with an Alko AKS2004 Stabiliser, can anyone tell me whether
or not I will have trouble hitching up with this stabiliser bearing in mind
that the spare wheel is mounted on the rear door.

Tony Falla

Hi Tony,

I had a Shogun, 2003 LWB until a few weeks ago. There is a nack of hitching
the van. You can either open the rear door fully and hitch, then be careful
when closing the door when hitched OR you can twist the alko to the left
(only slightly) , this will allow you to lift the handle a little bit more
before engaging.

It sounds worse than it is, once you are used to hitching with the door
closed it becomes second nature. The hitch does clunck into place as
opposed to smoothly engaging.

We have a Swift Challenger 490LSE, the Shogun didnt notice we had it on the
back. Expect 18-19MPG when towing and around 30MPG when solo. The Shogun
is a great tug, very stable and gives great confidence when towing.

HTH

Mike

Old June 7th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

I will soon be taking delivery of a Mitsubishi Shogun. to tow my van.
The van is fitted with an Alko AKS2004 Stabiliser, can anyone tell me
whether or not I will have trouble hitching up with this stabiliser
bearing in mind that the spare wheel is mounted on the rear door.

You don't say which model Shogun. However, if you search around the
forums of the Pajero Owners Club (http://www.pocuk.com/), you should find
the answer.

The Alko 2004 stabiliser handle fouls the spare wheel of Mk 1 and Mk 2
Pajeros and Shoguns, and I suspect it does for the newest shape. As Mike
R wrote, you can hitch up with the back door open and then close the door
after you've set the stabiliser (but you might need to remove the jockey
wheel before you can close the door!) Alternatively, you can fork out
twenty-five quid for Alko's bodge-fix; or (allegedly) you can loosen the
handle-securing screws and achieve the same result for nothing! If you
choose either of the latter options, make sure you remove the handle and
stow it somewhere safe before moving off.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old June 9th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

I have looked at the article in the Caravan Club Magazine and a technical
document on the Alko website regarding the replacement handle they supply
for 25. From what I can see you can use the current handle after you have
undone the bolt, the possible problem is that the current handle is Plastic
/ PVC whereas the replacement is metal thus should last longer. I will wait
until I have got the Shogun and see how it goes before spending any more
money.

Thanks for info

Tony Falla
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

Old June 9th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

I have looked at the article in the Caravan Club Magazine and a technical
document on the Alko website regarding the replacement handle they supply
for 25. From what I can see you can use the current handle after you have
undone the bolt, the possible problem is that the current handle is Plastic
/ PVC whereas the replacement is metal thus should last longer. I will wait
until I have got the Shogun and see how it goes before spending any more
money.

Thanks for info

Tony Falla
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

Old June 9th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

The other thing I had on my shogun was the witter rear cycle carrier

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cycl...ier_ZX108.aspx

This also helped to reduce the clearance. This is now surplus to
requirements since I now have an allroad.

"Tony Falla" wrote in message
I have looked at the article in the Caravan Club Magazine and a technical
document on the Alko website regarding the replacement handle they supply
for 25. From what I can see you can use the current handle after you have
undone the bolt, the possible problem is that the current handle is Plastic
/ PVC whereas the replacement is metal thus should last longer. I will wait
until I have got the Shogun and see how it goes before spending any more
money.

Thanks for info

Tony Falla
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

Old June 9th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Tony Falla" wrote in message
I have looked at the article in the Caravan Club Magazine and a technical
document on the Alko website regarding the replacement handle they supply
for 25. From what I can see you can use the current handle after you have
undone the bolt, the possible problem is that the current handle is Plastic
/ PVC whereas the replacement is metal thus should last longer. I will wait
until I have got the Shogun and see how it goes before spending any more
money.

Thanks for info

Tony Falla
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message