A Complete Newbie

Old August 8th 03, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve M

Default A Complete Newbie

My wife and i have been in to camping for the last ten or so years so we're
not exactly complete amateurs in the sleeping rough department, but finally
we've decided to take the plunge and get a caravan
Now i know this would be a big step normally but before we choose which van
to buy we have to first buy a car to tow it with. after much careful
discussion,argument,fighting and squabbling we've managed to narrow our
choice down to a few which are as follows:-
1) Renault Kangoo
2) Citroen berlingo
3) Fiat Multipla
4) Peugeot Partner Combi

Now my own personal preferance would be the Fiat, Even though i'd admit it's
probablt the ugliest car ever made and my wife positively hates it, i still
think it's excellent with the renault a close second. What i would like to
know is if there are any vanners out there who have got or who have used
these vehicles and there opinions please.
Many thanks in advance

Old August 9th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
\Em\

"Steve M" wrote in message
| My wife and i have been in to camping for the last ten or so years so
we're
| not exactly complete amateurs in the sleeping rough department, but
finally
| we've decided to take the plunge and get a caravan
| Now i know this would be a big step normally but before we choose which
van
| to buy we have to first buy a car to tow it with. after much careful
| discussion,argument,fighting and squabbling we've managed to narrow our
| choice down to a few which are as follows:-
| 1) Renault Kangoo
| 2) Citroen berlingo
| 3) Fiat Multipla
| 4) Peugeot Partner Combi
|
| Now my own personal preferance would be the Fiat, Even though i'd admit
it's
| probablt the ugliest car ever made and my wife positively hates it, i
still
| think it's excellent with the renault a close second. What i would like to
| know is if there are any vanners out there who have got or who have used
| these vehicles and there opinions please.
| Many thanks in advance

My wife and I are in exactly the same position - camping to caravaning. We
have just bought our towing car which is a Vauxall Omega 2.0 We decided to
go for a bigger car with plenty of more towing capacity and power than we
will need and are now looking to buy the caravan to make the pair. In all
the research I have made the advice given is to buy the car first one with
ample towing capacity. Never mind the looks - choose the workhorse -
whichever car that is - towing weights are all important. It is not illegal
to tow a van of equal weight to the car but in law you would be restricted
to 40mph and being very foolhardy and dangerous in doing so.

Old August 9th 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ray fisher

In article , Em
writes
My wife and I are in exactly the same position - camping to caravaning. We
have just bought our towing car which is a Vauxall Omega 2.0 We decided to
go for a bigger car with plenty of more towing capacity and power than we
will need and are now looking to buy the caravan to make the pair. In all
the research I have made the advice given is to buy the car first one with
ample towing capacity. Never mind the looks - choose the workhorse -
whichever car that is - towing weights are all important. It is not illegal
to tow a van of equal weight to the car but in law you would be restricted
to 40mph and being very foolhardy and dangerous in doing so.

Rubbish - Where did you get that information ?
--
ray fisher
Old August 9th 03, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
\Em\

"ray fisher" wrote in message
| In article , Em
| writes
| My wife and I are in exactly the same position - camping to caravaning.
We
| have just bought our towing car which is a Vauxall Omega 2.0 We decided
| go for a bigger car with plenty of more towing capacity and power than we
| will need and are now looking to buy the caravan to make the pair. In all
| the research I have made the advice given is to buy the car first one
with
| ample towing capacity. Never mind the looks - choose the workhorse -
| whichever car that is - towing weights are all important. It is not
illegal
| to tow a van of equal weight to the car but in law you would be
restricted
| to 40mph and being very foolhardy and dangerous in doing so.
|

| Rubbish - Where did you get that information ?
| --
| ray fisher

Caravan Club and internet

Old August 9th 03, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:46:57 +0100, "\"Em\"" wrote:

It is not
illegal
| to tow a van of equal weight to the car but in law you would be
restricted
| to 40mph and being very foolhardy and dangerous in doing so.
|

| Rubbish - Where did you get that information ?
| --
| ray fisher

Caravan Club and internet

This keeps cropping up the facts are simple you are restricted by two
factors in your towing weight. The first is the manufacturers towing
limit for the vehicle which you may not exceed, (in the case of my
car 1800kg for a car weighing 1490kg) and also the maximum gross
train weight of the vehicle also specified by the vehicle manufacturer
again which may not be exceeded, ( for my car this value is 3600kg ).
So that as long as I have an outfit that in total weighs less than
3600kg of which no more than 1800kg is the caravan wiith my licence I
can legitimately drive my car at 60mph on the motorway. There is no
way that I would do so but plod could not grumble if I did. For
someone whose licence was first awarded after 01/01/97 the regulations
are different in that they are not allowed to tow a vehicle that
weighs more than the kerbweight of their car without taking a further
test.
(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 12th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

For
someone whose licence was first awarded after 01/01/97 the regulations
are different in that they are not allowed to tow a vehicle that
weighs more than the kerbweight of their car without taking a further
test.

There are some advantages to being old :-)))))))

Mary

(remove the spam to reply)

Old August 14th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Delboy

"Steve M" wrote in message
[...]

Recently been in a similar position, but other way around.

Been camping (trailer tent, dome tents, etc) for years and recently got a
Fleetwood Colchester to go with our Fiat Multipla (diesel of course).

No complaints here, the multipla gives us six comfy seats (good for four
with middle seats folded down into tables) plus boot space. Only time it
complains are long uphills when we drop back into 4th. Being nearly as wide
as the van, and with unusual wing mirrors, we do not need extenders to the
mirrors. It's actually only slightly wider than normal cars, and still fits
well into normal Tesco car spaces!

Looks soon grow on you... we were the first for miles around to have one and
the reactions used to be really funny (it was either "bloody hell, whats
that!" or "wow, thats great"), and at least once a week some passing
stranger would ask to look inside... ah well, those days have gone now...

Derek

Old August 15th 03, 02:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve M

Well thank you for the reply, didn't know if i was gonna get one on the
subject i posted as it seemed to mutate to different subjects, but thats
newsgroups for you