Gas BBQ - Griddle or Open?

Old June 8th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

Default Gas BBQ - Griddle or Open?

Thinking of buying a folding gas BBQ (Thermos Grill 2 Go) with griddle
rather than an open flame with lava rocks.
Does anyone who's used both (or has the Cadac with both surfaces) think the
food tastes any less barbequey?
Could buy the Cadac one, I suppose, and have the option, but the Thermos
looks pretty neat, and is a bit cheaper.

Cheers,
Neil

Old June 8th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

"Neil" wrote in message
Thinking of buying a folding gas BBQ (Thermos Grill 2 Go) with griddle
rather than an open flame with lava rocks.
Does anyone who's used both (or has the Cadac with both surfaces) think
the food tastes any less barbequey?
Could buy the Cadac one, I suppose, and have the option, but the Thermos
looks pretty neat, and is a bit cheaper.

Cheers,
Neil

I have the Thermos Grill 2 Go after many years of both charcoal and normal
gas BBQs.

I have had it now for 3 years, and have used it often on rallies.
Neither I or my family or friends have detected any noticeable
difference in taste.
Food generally cooks better (without any burning) and is not as dry
(keep the temperature at the low end and cook a little longer)
There is no flare-up with fatty foods (fat collects in a container for
later disposal)
Clean the grill when still warm (soapy water and dishwasher brush is
best) and the food residues almost wipe off (after 3 years my grill is
almost as good as when it was new).
Even when cooking is near completion, the design of the lid means that
it does not get too hot. Normally it is not too uncomfortable to touch,
certainly not hot enough to burn. Very important if kids are around.
But the MOST IMPORTANT tip is not to let the temperature get too high.
The Grill 2 Go has a thermostatic gauge. I keep the temperature at about 1/4
of the way into the 'cooking range', and I coat the grill with olive oil
before cooking.

Peter

Old June 9th 05, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Neil" wrote in message
Thinking of buying a folding gas BBQ (Thermos Grill 2 Go) with griddle
rather than an open flame with lava rocks.
Does anyone who's used both (or has the Cadac with both surfaces) think
the food tastes any less barbequey?

snip

I have a Cadac and you will not really detect any difference between the 2
options you mention ..... however Imo both are less 'barbequey' then the
conventional (non gas) BBQ.

Richard

Old June 9th 05, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Neil came up with the following;:
Thinking of buying a folding gas BBQ (Thermos Grill 2 Go) with griddle
rather than an open flame with lava rocks.
Does anyone who's used both (or has the Cadac with both surfaces) think
the food tastes any less barbequey?

NO, the food tastes the same, or at least we didn't notice any difference
between griddle and normal gas BBQ.

We do prefer 'rela' BBQ's, with hickory and other wood chips for added
'taste' but they mostly aren't practical unless at home.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old June 9th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

"Neil" wrote in message
Thinking of buying a folding gas BBQ (Thermos Grill 2 Go) with griddle
rather than an open flame with lava rocks.
Does anyone who's used both (or has the Cadac with both surfaces) think
the food tastes any less barbequey?
Could buy the Cadac one, I suppose, and have the option, but the Thermos
looks pretty neat, and is a bit cheaper.

Cheers,
Neil

We have had the Cadac Global Grill for a number of years (with the carry
bag) , it has what seems like a solid steel round plate with grids on it so
the fat runs off into a little cup underneath. We clean it religiously
after every use with what I would describe as almost like 'wire wool' to
attack the burnt bits left on the steel plate. Its been the best barbeque
we have ever had.
Regards,
Steve.

Old June 24th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SUZANNE BRACEGIRDLE

I have the thermos grill 2 go and think it is the best bbq
on the market. =

The food tastes better than a normal bbq as it doesn't dry out (chicken and steak are th=
e best)
If you are thinking of getting this item go to costco it only cost a few pounds to join an=
d you can but it for 59.99 + vat so it will cost you 70.48 which is a massive saving from th=
e rrp of =C2=A3179.99 =

It's so good that after having a bbq at my home two of our friends have bought them and bo=
th my sisters have aswell =

Hope this helps you make your choice easier =

Regards Sue

x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD