Nationwide warning useing thier CC abroad

Old June 10th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Nationwide warning useing thier CC abroad

You might recall last year I paid my hotel bill and car hire with my
Nationwide CC and got a very poor exchange rate for the euro. This because
the sellers converted the euro into sterling at piont of sale with thier
banks electronic equipment. I advised you to draw cash euro at ATMs and pay
cash, this way you get Nationwides better converstion rate. (I lost about
50 on the hotel and 25 on the car.)

I now see Nationwide are adviseing customers of this...

Using the card abroad
Your perfect travel companion
No commission fees on purchases abroad!
We don't charge commission on any of your purchases, making the Nationwide
credit card your perfect travelling companion. However, some shops may ask
you to pay in sterling and may apply currency exchange and commission rates
which are unfavourable. Where the currency exchange is managed by the shop
we are prevented from handling the money on your behalf, therefore we
recommend you always pay in the local currency. Other major lenders can
charge up to 2.75% for credit card transactions made overseas. So every time
you use your Nationwide credit card abroad, you save money!

No commission fees on cash withdrawals abroad!
You can withdraw cash abroad with your credit card in the same way as you
can in UK, with access to over half a million cash machines world-wide.
Other major lenders charge a cash advance fee of around 2.00% in addition to
a commission charge of up to 2.75%. With a cash withdrawal fee of just 1.50%
(minimum 1.50) and NO COMMISSION CHARGES, the Nationwide credit card is the
obvious card to take on your travels.

Actually, I draw euro from the ATMs with my normal NW card direct from my
current a/c.

Please reply to News Group.

Old June 10th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

David came up with the following;:
You might recall last year I paid my hotel bill and car hire with my
Nationwide CC and got a very poor exchange rate for the euro. This because

You didn't check first ...

Somehow, and I know I might be and probably are wrong, but this smacks a
little of spam.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old June 10th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:31:43 +0100, Paul - xxx in message
wrote:

David came up with the following;:
You might recall last year I paid my hotel bill and car hire with my
Nationwide CC and got a very poor exchange rate for the euro. This because

You didn't check first ...

Somehow, and I know I might be and probably are wrong, but this smacks a
little of spam.

In what way?

All he was doing was repeating a quite reasonable warning that when paying
for things abroad using a Nationwide card, it is generally better to pay in
the local currency, because the exchange rate you will get from the
Nationwide is almost certainly better than the local exchange rate would
be.

This may not be true for other cards, because not all suppliers give such
good conversion rates as nationwide do.

They are also one of the very few who make no charge for using your debit
card in a foreign ATM.

--
Alex Heney
Global Villager

Old June 10th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
David came up with the following;:
You might recall last year I paid my hotel bill and car hire with my
Nationwide CC and got a very poor exchange rate for the euro. This

because

You didn't check first ...

Somehow, and I know I might be and probably are wrong, but this smacks a
little of spam.

NOT SPAM.
I gave previous advice and todays advice, because it was here several years
ago I was advised to use Nationwide cards abroad because of no charges and
better rates of conversion.
Only last year things changed, I assume it is to do with the departure of
the manual written transaction slips and introduction of electronic devices
which are direct link to the banks.
Why would one check when many holidays taken with no problems? I'm not
spamming just wanting others not to learn the hard way. This NG is about
helping others, many of you carravan in Europe now.

Please reply to News Group.

Old June 10th 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
[...]

That's why I said it only smacks of spam.

It just seemed to me like you'd copied the blurb from a Nationwide ad. The
detail was a bit much, and almost exactly like an 'ours is best' advert.

An advert the type of which I already have too much of without them invading
usenet in the form of unsolicited 'advice', thankyou.

Old June 10th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Alex Heney" wrote in message .. .
They are also one of the very few who make no charge for using your debit
card in a foreign ATM.

True, I used my NW debit card in French ATMs last August. Another 'warning' (repeat) don't take American Express travellers cheques to Mid/Southern France, you may find it impossible to get them cashed in as banks/bureaus de change etc down there dislike Amex for some reason.