Weighing a caravan

« TEST | Isle Of Skye »

Old June 10th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Default Weighing a caravan

I've always been neurotic about making sure the van isn't overloaded -
so from time to time I take it to a public weighbridge.

This time around, I'd done some inside re-organisation, so decided to
have another weigh-in.

The chitty from the weighbridge told me 780Kg - but the odd thing was,
the weight display changed from 780 to 800 while I was waiting to pay
(10) and I started wondering about the precision of weighbridges.

So - I interrogated the manager bloke and he said a few interesting
things :

.. the weighbridge has a "float" of 20Kg, which appeared to be
equivalent to the error margin

.. the bridge doesn't always settle to the same "zero"

.. strong winds can change the weight reading by 20Kg

.. the actual weight was more likely to be nearer 780 than 800

He also offered a reweighing which I declined!

So - although 20Kg is only a smallish error margin (4% or so) it's also
a significant proportion of my load margin (max. wt. of 850Kg) - and I
find the whole thing a bit unsatisfactory. I presume all weighbridges
have similar characteristics, so there's not a lot I can do about it
really, and I suppose 780 is better than 800.

Old June 10th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Mr W Z Boson" wrote in message
oups

He also offered a reweighing which I declined!

Why?

What were you weighing?

So you could put another 50kg. (or 70kg.) but what had you in?

Please reply to News Group.

Old June 10th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Mr W Z Boson came up with the following;:

. the weighbridge has a "float" of 20Kg, which appeared to be
equivalent to the error margin

. the bridge doesn't always settle to the same "zero"

. strong winds can change the weight reading by 20Kg

That's reasonable. Many weighbridges use a torsion beam type of measure
which can be inaccurate up to around 20%. One big problem is that they are
generally calibrated at a specific weight and anything some way different to
that calibrated weight will be measured somewhat less accurately. For
instance, many weighbridges weigh trucks in excess of, say, 10 tonne unladen
and up to 30 tonne laden, say. If the calibration is done at some point
midway, say 20tonne, then weighing a caravan at 1 tonne is really not much
of a deflection to measure and the accuracy is commensurately less than if
the caravan were to weigh, say, 15 tonne.

So - although 20Kg is only a smallish error margin (4% or so) it's also
a significant proportion of my load margin (max. wt. of 850Kg) - and I
find the whole thing a bit unsatisfactory. I presume all weighbridges
have similar characteristics, so there's not a lot I can do about it
really, and I suppose 780 is better than 800.

I always give myself an extra 10% minimum. So if it weighed 800kg, I'd
say it weighed 880 for the purposes of adding payload. That way I know I'll
be under any maximum. Not that the Landrover even notices, mind ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old June 10th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

So - although 20Kg is only a smallish error margin (4% or so) it's also
a significant proportion of my load margin (max. wt. of 850Kg) - and I
find the whole thing a bit unsatisfactory.

Don't worry about it. 20kg won't make any difference in practice. Even if
you get pulled over and weighed 20kg over, I imagine your official
weighbridge slip and a subsequent measured loading to maximum weight will a
perfectly valid defence against prosecution.

Christian.

Old June 10th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

errrm

I think he thought I was questioning the weight.

I had "in" the things that usually live in the van - but wanted to know
how much additional stuff (food, socks, etc.) I could put in.

I now know I can put an additional 70Kg - but if the van had been
weighed 1 minute later than it was, I could then only load up with 50Kg
- which is quite a bit different

Old June 10th 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Mr W Z Boson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've always been neurotic about making sure the van isn't overloaded -
so from time to time I take it to a public weighbridge.

This time around, I'd done some inside re-organisation, so decided to
have another weigh-in.

The chitty from the weighbridge told me 780Kg - but the odd thing was,
the weight display changed from 780 to 800 while I was waiting to pay
(10) and I started wondering about the precision of weighbridges.

HOW MUCH!!!!!

i pay 3.50 for a ticket at my local weigh bridge, and with that i can have
the front and rear axles weighed seperately, and the whole van (motorhome)
weighed for the same price as long as they're not too busy, giving me 3
weights on the ticket.

or i can decline a ticket, and get told the weight for free.

« TEST | Isle Of Skye »