Finicky Electrolux fridges

Old June 12th 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry Bull

Default Finicky Electrolux fridges

Hi all, I have just taken up caravanning again after a break of nearly 20
yrs...

The last 'van we had the fridge was always very tricky to get going- using
gas- it would light fine but wouldn't circulate.... unless after arriving on
site, the fridge was removed, up ended for 5 mins then refitted....

Have just got a much more recent used 'van and find the fridge won't work
although it lights ok!!

How critical should these fridges be for level before starting?

Do many others have problems with these fridges?

What is the correct operating procedure? (I don't have a manual)

Cheers
Andrew

Old June 12th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Terry Bull came up with the following;:
Hi all, I have just taken up caravanning again after a break of nearly
20 yrs...

The last 'van we had the fridge was always very tricky to get going- using
gas- it would light fine but wouldn't circulate.... unless after arriving
on site, the fridge was removed, up ended for 5 mins then refitted....

Have just got a much more recent used 'van and find the fridge won't work
although it lights ok!!

How critical should these fridges be for level before starting?

Do many others have problems with these fridges?

What is the correct operating procedure? (I don't have a manual)

We used to have some trouble lighting our fridge. We tried making sure of
level etc, hitting it, kicking it and all the 'usual' remedies.

The technique we use now is to turn gas supply on, leave it for five minutes
or so to settle down while we do something else like attach the water
supply. Light a burner to make sure gas is being drawn through the system.
(probably more psychological than 'real' help) Then when lighting the fridge
only turn it to No1, lowest setting, hold the knob in for a few seconds,
press the lgihter plunger, and continue holding the knob in for a few more
seconds.

Never takes more than 2 or 3 clicks nowadays.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old June 12th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Paul - xxx wrote:

The technique we use now is to turn gas supply on, leave it for five
minutes or so to settle down while we do something else like attach
the water supply. Light a burner to make sure gas is being drawn
through the system. (probably more psychological than 'real' help)

No - it is a *real* help! Before the fridge will light, the supply pipe from
the cylinder needs to be full of gas rather than air. With just the fridge
drawing gas (at its very low consumption rate) this takes an age to achieve.
If you light the hob, the pipes fill with gas very quickly - leaving only
the small spur to the fridge to be filled.

Having said all that, this doesn't appear to be the OP's problem - because
it apparently lights ok, but doesn't *cool*!

To the OP: Is it a 3-way fridge, designed to run on gas, mains electricity
or 12v (in transit only)? If so, what happens on mains - does it then work
ok? If so, the innards are ok, but the right bits are not getting heated by
the flame - maybe because of some crud which is deflecting the flame to the
wrong place.

With regards to level, it needs to be level to within a few degrees - but if
the van is level enough to live in, the fridge should be level enough to
work!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old June 12th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gilbert

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message

snip

....and if it is a 3-way fridge, do you ensure that the 12v/mains switch is
off when using gas? I've found that if I accidentally leave the switch
turned to 12v (after touring all day, e.g.) the fridge will sometimes warm
up.
Cheers
Gilbert

Old June 12th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

I recently had to fix our Electrolux 212 fridge - it had stopped
working on mains elec. and I discovered a few interesting things about
them ....

They work on a different principle to the domestic compression frig. -
using a mixture of water-ammonia-hydrogen. There's a good description
of how they work here ..

http://www.mh3tech.org/absorption.html

& when they go wrong, it's because of one of the following reasons ...

- one or more of the heater elements has failed (behind frig. doesn't
get hot)

- the coolant has leaked (heating but no cooling and tell-tale yellow
stains from the leak)

- air-locks and/or internal debris blocking circulation.

In the case of heating by gas - then if the flame lights (and no other
faults), then it could be a blocked flue (which is also dangerous)

If the back gets hot (and I mean *really* hot - don't touch it!) and
there's no cooling it could mean a leaked coolant. I was told that
there's no point in "recharging" the system, since it would just leak
out again - also a new heater-cooler unit would cost more than a new
fridge.

If it's airlock/blockage, then standing the unit upside-down might
rectify the problem - although one bloke I spoke to was adamant this is
just an urban myth.

Old June 12th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Sorry, that should be ...

http://www.nh3tech.org/absorption.html