Mondeo 1800 tow car

Old June 12th 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andrew & ann

Default Mondeo 1800 tow car

We recently got back into caravaning and bought a van from a friend. It is
995 KG. And I keep the payload to a minimum. I have a lovely 1997 low
mileage Mondeo which I have used to tow the van twice so far.
It does tow the van but I am not sure if it is me or the car, but more
horses would be handy. I just don't like reving engines too much and am
perhaps not giving it enough revs. There is never any sign of overheating.

Any help would be well received.

Old June 12th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Slee

"andrew & ann" wrote:

We recently got back into caravaning and bought a van from a friend. It is
995 KG. And I keep the payload to a minimum. I have a lovely 1997 low
mileage Mondeo which I have used to tow the van twice so far. It does tow
the van but I am not sure if it is me or the car, but more horses would be
handy. I just don't like reving engines too much and am perhaps not giving
it enough revs. There is never any sign of overheating.

Any help would be well received.

I tow a similar sized van with a 2.5L Omega. It pulls great. Although even
with a large car like this I still have to rev' hard on occasion, and always
lots of gearchanges are required.

I wouldn't worry about your engine, I'd worry more about how stable the
combination is.

--
Gareth Slee

Old June 12th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andrew & ann

The Mondeo is a pretty heavy car even compared to the Saab 900 I used to tow
with. The combination seems very stable (I do use a stabiliser) but it is
the power I am wondering about. I don't want to spend a fortune on a car
which does one local trip a week and then sits on my drive waiting for our
weather to improve!
It may well be that I will have to change the car but I have driven 4x4
fours and the like and hate em. It would have to be something similar to
your Omega.
"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
m...

Old June 12th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Anne

The Mondeo is a pretty heavy car even compared to the Saab 900 I used to tow
with. The combination seems very stable (I do use a stabiliser) but it is
the power I am wondering about. I don't want to spend a fortune on a car
which does one local trip a week and then sits on my drive waiting for our
weather to improve!

I used to have a 95 2ltr mondeo which towed lke a dream but it was heavy on
fuel when towing (only just over 20mpg with the van) But it did over 40 mpg
solo so it was also pretty good round town. Have you thought about simply
swapping your mondeo for the bigger one. There's very little difference in
the second hand price between the 2 models of the same age /milage
/condition(roughly 400).And the insurance is only up one group.
Anne

Old June 12th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

"Anne" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that, I did wonder. Problem is that our 1800 is in such lovely
condition with on 45k miles on.
Perhaps I should look for someone who wants to swap for a bigger caravan. It
also is in very nice condition for a 92

Old June 13th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

It does tow the van but I am not sure if it is me or the car, but more
horses would be handy. I just don't like reving engines too much and am
perhaps not giving it enough revs. There is never any sign of overheating.

Just put your foot down more and stop worrying about it. Ensure you only use
fully synthetic oil when servicing.

You're pulling more weight and need to develop more power. It doesn't hurt
to drive with 4000rpm, you know!

If you want to know what lacking power means, try my 2800kg 68bhp minibus
towing its maximum 1600kg trailer.

Christian.