Caravan Sale Con?

Old June 13th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill the Boater

Default Caravan Sale Con?

We were looking for a caravan on eBay and come across a nice Swift....Then
another exactly the same..!
Scam or what?
Surely this can not be right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4555326888

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4556214118

Joe

Old June 13th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Bill the Boater wrote:

We were looking for a caravan on eBay and come across a nice
Swift....Then another exactly the same..!
Scam or what?
Surely this can not be right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4555326888

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4556214118

Joe

Seems a bit odd - since the main photo is identical - same van outside the
same house!

The seller and location are *potentially* different, and the closing dates
are different. It's possible that there *are* two similar vans - and that
the second seller could have nicked the photo from the first advert.

I think I would send some searching emails to the sellers if I were
interested in either van - and not bid unless I was satisfied by the
answers!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old June 13th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Giwuken

Hitch Lock wrote:
Bill the Boater wrote:

We were looking for a caravan on eBay and come across a nice
Swift....Then another exactly the same..!
Scam or what?
Surely this can not be right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4555326888

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4556214118

Joe

Seems a bit odd - since the main photo is identical - same van outside the
same house!

The seller and location are *potentially* different, and the closing dates
are different. It's possible that there *are* two similar vans - and that
the second seller could have nicked the photo from the first advert.

I think I would send some searching emails to the sellers if I were
interested in either van - and not bid unless I was satisfied by the
answers!

Can also be explained that 2 people ( owner and a friend) are publishing
the same object. A friend and I do it all the time, for other things,
and we sometimes get that same respons, explain it, and we are both
present when we show the object to potential buyers.

Old June 13th 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Giwuken" wrote in message
Hitch Lock wrote:
Bill the Boater wrote:

[...]

But check the 2nd auctioneer out... totaly newbie to ebay, joined yesterday,
first auction,

Exact same opening story, just cut a little bit off the end after saying
they're selling it for a friend.

Old June 13th 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Exact same opening story, just cut a little bit off the end after saying
they're selling it for a friend.

Yeah. Definitely possiblity of fraud.

There are loads of scams out there.

Someone tried it on with a very compelling "second chance offer" type scam
for a high value item that we had really wanted. Very professionally done
with fake email addresses matching user name and everything, not like your
obvious mispelt Hong Kong attempts which are two a penny.

Most people wouldn't have spotted it, I would guess. It took me ten minutes
of investigation to spot the flaw, which I can't remember now. I got a mail
from eBay three days later saying basically "I hope you didn't fall for that
last one". By then he was "no longer a registered user".

A friend on mine lost 1000 quid on a laptop once. You basically have to be
very careful. Read the rules and obey them. High value items I only ever do
cash on collection. I only collect from the seller's premises, not a
convenient "halfway" point that the seller might suggest to share the
journey. They just don't want you to see their house, which would be a
hassle as they'd have to "borrow" one.

Always do the checks on vehicles (i.e. HPi/CRIS) before handing over cash.

Christian.

Old June 13th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bryan Bellis

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:33:38 GMT, "Bill the Boater"
wrote:

We were looking for a caravan on eBay and come across a nice Swift....Then
another exactly the same..!
Scam or what?
Surely this can not be right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4555326888

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4556214118

The second one's been removed from Ebay now. Hmmm.

--
Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

http://www.pcdr.co.uk/taxmaster

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://www.pcdr.co.uk/spam/antispam.html