Site Near Calais

Old June 13th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default Site Near Calais

We are due to travel from Quimper to Calais on a Friday for a Mid
Morning Ferry on Saturday. I have two small children so would prefer
an official site to stop at, we are not bothered whether municipal or
private. Can anyone recommend a caravan site near enough to Calais to
make the morning ferry, but leaving enough time for a last minute trip
to stock upon Wine/lager you know the essentials.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Old June 13th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

In article .com,
says...
We are due to travel from Quimper to Calais on a Friday for a Mid
Morning Ferry on Saturday. I have two small children so would prefer
an official site to stop at, we are not bothered whether municipal or
private. Can anyone recommend a caravan site near enough to Calais to
make the morning ferry, but leaving enough time for a last minute trip
to stock upon Wine/lager you know the essentials.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

We have stopped at Sangatte for many years, which is on the coast a few
miles East of Calais near Coquelles and the tunnel. We use the campsite
in the centre called Motte Noir. A flat site easy to get in and out of
and pitch for an overnight. The number of statics has increased over the
years and we have not used it since last May as we have not taken the
'van over since then. It is very convenient, only minor drawback is that
shower block is closed at 9pm but that has never bothered us. There is
also a municipal a few minutes along the coast road towards Calais. It
is very convenient for the Auchan hypermarche as you just cut along the
coast road and in the back entrance. There is a beer/wine store (can't
remember which) nearby and also Sainsbury's wine market (not that I've
used that). Takes about 15 - 20 minutes round the autoroute to the ferry
port.

Ian

Old June 13th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are due to travel from Quimper to Calais on a Friday for a Mid
Morning Ferry on Saturday. I have two small children so would prefer
an official site to stop at, we are not bothered whether municipal or
private. Can anyone recommend a caravan site near enough to Calais to
make the morning ferry, but leaving enough time for a last minute trip
to stock upon Wine/lager you know the essentials.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

When we're doing similar we use www.campingstlouis.com if we want p&q.

Quiet site just inland from Calais regularly used as an overnight stop
before ferry.

There's a decent sized Champion supermarket on the route into Calais which
gives easy parking and avoids you getting tied up with the hypermarkets in
Calais itself. Had a v. acceptable selection of wine last year as we came
through.

If you want a bit more of an evening out on your last night, the municipal
(called Fontaine des Clercs I think) at Montreuil-sur-Mer just south of
Boulogne is a good choice. Facilities acceptable (if not swish) but
Montreuil makes for a good last day/evening. It's a walled town where you
can walk the walls. The site is just below and outside the walls with foot
access through a tunnel at the top of the site. Keeps the kids interested,
and there are good shops, bars and restaurants within easy walking. Drive
along main roads and toll-free autoroute to Calais makes a mid morning ferry
viable (I've done it), though you might want to stock up in the Montreuil
supermarkets the night before.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old June 14th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:15:53 +0100, "Bob Douglas"
wrote:

When we're doing similar we use www.campingstlouis.com if we want p&q.

Seconded. But phone ( 03 21 35 46 83) and book at busy times. We've
stayed there the past couple of years and will again this. There are
some discount wine merchants nearby too....