Tow car disco ?

Old June 15th 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T

Default Tow car disco ?

Apologies if well covered before but thinking of getting an auto disco 95/96
diesel (Think its 200tdi for that year) since fed up with laborious progress
with my current mpv.
Can I expect effortless towing motorway/steep hills/A roads etc. or is it a
myth?
Andy

Old June 15th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Capt T came up with the following;:
Apologies if well covered before but thinking of getting an auto disco
95/96 diesel (Think its 200tdi for that year) since fed up with laborious
progress with my current mpv.
Can I expect effortless towing motorway/steep hills/A roads etc. or is it
a myth?

We run a '97 300 Tdi, manual.

We have no problem maintaining 60 up any motorway hills, even the notorious
M5 past Bristol. We do sometimes have to drop to 4th if we want to keep
speed up to 60, but it willhappily tow in top all day, lazily slogging away,
so long as we don't mind speed dropping to 40 ish.

Cardiff to Nottingham M4 / M55 / M5 / M42 / M1 with horsebox, horse and all
the kit on the back (heavier than our caravan and stuff) and it towed
steadily at 55 everywhere, up and down hill.

If we maintain speeds everywhere, and I generally tow above 60, the fuel
consumption might drop to 22 worst case (A real blast under some pressure)
from 'normal 28 to 30. If we just amble along allowing the speed to drop on
hills we don't seem to lose much fuel, though it does drop to about 26 mpg.

The short linkage distance between towbar to rear axle also makes lively,
but easy to handle, reverse manouvreing. It might take some getting used to
after a normal car / mpv though. Rear visibility for parking and site
manouvreing is excellent.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old June 19th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
lee

"Paul - xxx" wrote:

Rear visibility for parking and site
manouvreing is excellent.

I actually find the Range rover has better rear visibility. The spare tyre on the disco makes for some entertainment but it's no big issue.

Our Disco is a V8 petrol auto so i won't comment on that. Our Range Rover is a diesel 2.5 vm manual. I only wish it was auto too.

Lee D

Posted by PPCNewz - via my Mio

www.lrproject.com
Landrover renovations.