Towing with a Mitsubishi Shogun

Old June 17th 05, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

Default Towing with a Mitsubishi Shogun

I have just taken delivery of a Mitsubishi Shogun for towing my van. Reading
the handbook Mitsubishi say that when towing you should employ 4H drive
otherwise transmission oils may overheat. What effect does this have on
performance and fuel consumption.

Tony Falla

Old June 17th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

I have just taken delivery of a Mitsubishi Shogun for towing my van.
Reading the handbook Mitsubishi say that when towing you should employ
4H drive otherwise transmission oils may overheat. What effect does
this have on performance and fuel consumption.

Strangely, this came up on the Pajero Owners Club forum a couple of days
ago. If you're not "Blue Thunder", you may want to look at
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30321 for some of the
comments others have written.

You don't say which Shoggy you have - but with the Mk I and Mk II you can
(and most do) use 2H. Allegedly, the handbook for the 3.2 Auto says you
should be in 4H, but I get the impression that most owners use 2H unless
it's slippery.

The club forum has many references to this and allied subjects, which you
can access by searching on http://www.pocuk.com/forums/search.php for
"Towing 4WD", selecting the Search For All Terms option, and clicking
Search.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old June 17th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

Shogun is brand new 2005, I have seen it referred to somewhere as a Mk VI
but don't know whether or not this is correct.

Tony Falla

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

Old June 17th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

Shogun is brand new 2005, I have seen it referred to somewhere as a Mk VI
but don't know whether or not this is correct.

Tony Falla

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

Old June 17th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

Shogun is brand new 2005, I have seen it referred to somewhere as a Mk
VI but don't know whether or not this is correct.

Not something of which I have knowledge then (mine is a 2.8 Mk II) However,
you may find answers by searching on POCUK.com and if you don't the club is
free to join - so it won't cost to ask for info from the several thousand
members. There are some very knowledgeable people on that site - including
some Mitsi main service centre bods who have really gone out of their way
to help paj and shoggy owners.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old June 19th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

[...]

Hi Tony,

I'm speaking from a ex-Shogun owner (2003, 3.2 LWB) point of view. We always
towed in 4wd - found the towing more stable - no bounce etc. We towed from
Somerset - Bath area to North Wales - averaged around 20-23mpg.

Performance: On the motorway I could keep 60mph with no trouble, it would
continue effortlessly up the long slow M5 gradients at 60mph. If I needed
the extra turn of power, I would use the tiptronic to hold the revs longer,
this would allow safe over taking on dual carriage ways, tractors on A roads
etc..

Regards

Mike

Old June 19th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in
:

Old June 19th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

Have looked at POCUK.com and joined seems to be a lot of interesting stuff
there

Tony Falla

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Tony Falla" wrote in