Carver gas fire

Old June 17th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

Default Carver gas fire

I purchased a Swift Silhouette from a dealer recently (my first caravan).
The Carver SC1800 gas fire wouldn't light, so I had to take the caravan back
for repair

I collected the caravan today and bought it home (two and a half hour drive
in each direction) and still couldn't get it to light. (I realise I should
have tested it while I was still at the dealer's, but foolishly, I didn't)

The chap who worked on it said he'd cleaned the burner. I'm assuming that
he tested the fire out after he'd done that. When I tried it, I couldn't
get it to light at all. I couldn't hear any gas flow, and I couldn't smell
gas after several attempts to light the fire

The gas bottle is switched on, the gas cooker works, and the fridge works on
gas, which suggests there's no problem with the gas supply

Maybe I'm missing something. I thought it was a case of turning the fire's
knob anti clockwise, pressing the button to get a spark, and basking in the
warm glow of the fire

Does the fan need to be running before the fire will light? Does the
igniter need 240V to work properly? (The van is stored on a farm, so I'm
trying to light it with the power from the van's battery). Is there a gas
isolation valve that may be switched off?

Any advice would be gratefully received. I'm on the verge of dumping the
van in front of the dealer's gate and demanding my money back, but I thought
I'd better check my facts first!

Thanks

Pete

Old June 17th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Pete said the following on 17/06/2005 20:00:
[...]

Turn knob 90 degrees anti clockwise and then fully depress (before
pressing ignite button if not automatic) - there should be a gas
isolating valve for each appliance usually all grouped together in the
bottom of a cupboard. If you have automatic ignition you will require a
12v supply.

Roy
www.pikey.clan.ac

Old June 17th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul King

Pete wrote:
[...]

As per Roy's advice - except, keep the gas knob depressed for 10 to 15
seconds *AFTER* the gas ignites, otherwise the flame failure device will not
be hot enough, resulting in the burner extinguishing!

If that happens, just press the gas valve, push the igniter button again,
and keep the gas valve depressed for longer

Old June 17th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"Paul King" wrote in message
Pete wrote:
[...]

Tried that, to no avail

Does the igniter need 240V, or should it work off the van's battery?

Pete

Old June 18th 05, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:05:28 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

| Thanks
|
| Tried that, to no avail

Our Carver heater (manual peiso ignition) is a pig to light because when
the van is stood with the LPG turned off at the bottle, air leaks into the
pipe. When lighting you have to drive air out with fresh LPG, which takes
some time.

Look at the little glass window and check that there is a spark when you
press the press the knob or whatever you do on yours. This is invisible
in full sunlight, but can be seen in deep shadow or the dark. If so keep
on trying, and trying, and trying, until suddenly it lights.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and