12 volt fans on fridge vent

Old June 17th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mvecd

Default 12 volt fans on fridge vent

I have just purchased 2 12 volt fans to stick on the outside top vent
to improve cooling on our 7 week trip to Spain this summer.
I understand how/why etc to do this, but is there any benefit from
having the fans running while on the road and the car is powering the
fridge? I know the car will only 'hold' the temperature after pre
cooling on gas/electric, and wondered if running them whilst towing
would help? Is it worth it?

Old June 17th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On 17 Jun 2005 13:47:23 -0700, "mvecd"
wrote:

I have just purchased 2 12 volt fans to stick on the outside top vent
to improve cooling on our 7 week trip to Spain this summer.
I understand how/why etc to do this, but is there any benefit from
having the fans running while on the road and the car is powering the
fridge? I know the car will only 'hold' the temperature after pre
cooling on gas/electric, and wondered if running them whilst towing
would help? Is it worth it?

Hope you mean the inside of the vent.

Never thought about running mine while towing I've always found the
fridge maintains its temperature OK when towing, the airflow
travelling past the van will help draw the hot air from the vents.
If you do intend to run them while travelling you will need to rig up
a changeover switch for the 12v supply so you run off the fridge
supply when towing & change to the van supply on site (van supply is
isolated when towing).

Lenny

Old June 17th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"mvecd" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just purchased 2 12 volt fans to stick on the outside top vent
to improve cooling on our 7 week trip to Spain this summer.
I understand how/why etc to do this, but is there any benefit from
having the fans running while on the road and the car is powering the
fridge? I know the car will only 'hold' the temperature after pre
cooling on gas/electric, and wondered if running them whilst towing
would help? Is it worth it?

Do your fans extract air from the caravan?

I'd like one which does, more information would be appreciated please.

Mary

Old June 18th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mvecd

Ok I should have said inside the top vent!

The fans only pull air past the back of the fridge to help with
cooling, they dont have any impact on the inside of the van.
I am, however, looking at fixing a largish fan to the roof light so it
will circulate air around the inside of the van. If anyone has done
something similar I would be interested to hear from them.

Old June 18th 05, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:30:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"mvecd" wrote in message
roups.com...
I have just purchased 2 12 volt fans to stick on the outside top vent
to improve cooling on our 7 week trip to Spain this summer.
I understand how/why etc to do this, but is there any benefit from
having the fans running while on the road and the car is powering the
fridge? I know the car will only 'hold' the temperature after pre
cooling on gas/electric, and wondered if running them whilst towing
would help? Is it worth it?

Do your fans extract air from the caravan?

I'd like one which does, more information would be appreciated please.

Mary

Hi Mary,
Normally fit a couple fans (like the ones in your computer PSU) to the
fridge top vent. They just pull air over the fridge elements. Not much
need in the UK (I know you don't do foreign) but does help the fridge
maintain its temperature when outside its above 25c.

Lenny

Old June 18th 05, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Lenny" wrote in message

Do your fans extract air from the caravan?

I'd like one which does, more information would be appreciated please.

Mary

Hi Mary,
Normally fit a couple fans (like the ones in your computer PSU) to the
fridge top vent. They just pull air over the fridge elements. Not much
need in the UK (I know you don't do foreign) but does help the fridge
maintain its temperature when outside its above 25c.

LOL! It's not a matter of doing foreign :-)

And since we haven't a fridge inside thevans that's not important.

No, what I want is a vent in the wall of the caravans above the
sink/cooker,with a fan to extract steam.

Our fridge is the 3 way chest type which sits in the awning, we've never
known it give up when the weather's warm.

As you say, we don't often get as unbearable as 25C, especially on theWelsh
mountain:-)

Mary

Lenny