portable air conditioner

Old June 19th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mvecd

Default portable air conditioner

does anyone use a portable air conditioner in there caravan?
I've seen one in B&Q for 159, its 8000BTU and says it draws 1.2KW
would it be any good, or would it trip the site electrics?
We're off to Spain in 3 weeks and need some form of cooling to keep us
and our 4 month old cool. The site says it supplies 10 amps, however I
imagine the site will be packed, so would this drop? If I switch off
other power hungry devices would I be ok?
What does the fridge pull?
Is this a practical option?
Thanks

Old June 19th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 19 Jun 2005 05:17:17 -0700, "mvecd" wrote:

| does anyone use a portable air conditioner in there caravan?
| I've seen one in B&Q for 159, its 8000BTU and says it draws 1.2KW
| would it be any good, or would it trip the site electrics?
| We're off to Spain in 3 weeks and need some form of cooling to keep us
| and our 4 month old cool. The site says it supplies 10 amps, however I
| imagine the site will be packed, so would this drop? If I switch off
| other power hungry devices would I be ok?
| What does the fridge pull?
| Is this a practical option?

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm
Spain uses 230 V 50 Hz
1.2kw / 230V = 5.2 amps
Just over half the available power.

Should not cause too many problems

At worst you could run the fridge off LPG.
Run as much as possible off the battery to even out the load on mains.

There is something strange about the figures you give.
http://online.unitconverterpro.com/u....php?cat=power
gives 8000BTU = 2344 watts. I am not sure how these things work. Where
do they get rid of the heat pumped from the room/van? Is there an air
outlet somewhere?

My small van requires 1kw to heat it to 20 deg C when it is 0 deg C outside
2344watts seems a bit high to cool a van from say 30 deg C to 20deg C.

Does the one you are considering have a thermostat?

A similar one 12000 BTU
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...maxBullets=999
Ideal to cool a room up to 21m sq approx (bright sunny room typically

south/west facing)

Which is bigger than your average van.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old June 19th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 19th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"mvecd" wrote in message
oups.com...
does anyone use a portable air conditioner in there caravan?
I've seen one in B&Q for 159, its 8000BTU and says it draws 1.2KW
would it be any good, or would it trip the site electrics?
We're off to Spain in 3 weeks and need some form of cooling to keep us
and our 4 month old cool. The site says it supplies 10 amps, however I
imagine the site will be packed, so would this drop? If I switch off
other power hungry devices would I be ok?
What does the fridge pull?
Is this a practical option?
Thanks

Don't use one ....._but_

It will take _about_ 5Amps

On mains a fridge draws about 0.5Amp, on 12V about10A and on gas zero.

Is it practical ..... well I doubt the young one will sleep with it on ....
probably too noisy.

Also, at 159 is it really an air conditioner or a air cooler ......... they
are two very different beasts. In addition you need to check the spec
carefully. If it is 35C outside the environment inside a caravan
(temperature and humidity) will be very different to say inside a room in a
traditionally designed UK house .... which I guess it will have been
designed to cope with.

Richard

Old June 19th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mvecd

this is the one I've been looking at

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...23&paintCatId=

It says its an air conditioner. I wanted one a bit less powerful, say
6000BTU to be sure it wouldn't trip the electrics, but 8000 seems to be
the standard entry level.

I dont want to buy one, the carry it all the way to spain, then it not
be good enough, or trip the electrics.!

Are they much louder than, say a desktop fan?

Hasn't anyone any expierience of using one of these?

How do I know from the spec that it will fit my purpose?

Sorry to fire all these questions, but I thought loads of people
would've tried/use one when abroad.
Really suprised no one has come back to say they have.

Thanks
Mark

Old June 19th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mvecd

ahh, link didn't work.

try this one
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/catego...p?CATID=190434
then follow the links to Air conditioners

Old June 19th 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mvecd

just checked on the power rating,

the 1.2KW is the power consumption.
The 8000BTU or 2344 watts is the ouput