Paint Sealant and Protective Fabric Coatings.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

Default Paint Sealant and Protective Fabric Coatings.

I have just started the process of buying a used Vauxhall Vectra Estate. It
will be a couple of weeks before the car arrives at my local dealer where it
will receive a full service and ‘veleting’ (I think that is how you spell
it). Along with offers of extended guarantees the salesman went into a
pitch about the wonders of a product called Supagard. This would entail
them applying paint sealant to the exterior, a resin-based protective coat
to the fabrics and carpets, and a protective finish to the vehicle plastics.
This was going to give the car a fresh polished look for years and make
cleaning easier. I thought this sounded interesting as I do like to keep the
car looking nice, so I said, “How much ?” "£370" came the short reply.

My immediate reaction was that this was a bit steep but the idea seemed
good. My present car is a ten year old Cavalier, colour white, and it looks
a treat when washed, and polished with Triplewax which I buy at Woolworths
for a couple of quid about once every three years. I go over the plastic
with a spray I bought at Halfords years ago and all the black moulding still
look as good as new.

I am sure I can buy these protective sealants and do it myself for a
fraction of the quote, but is it worth it ? Do these products actually work?

Regards.

Dave.

Old June 22nd 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Dave Dew" wrote in message
I have just started the process of buying a used Vauxhall Vectra Estate.

It
will be a couple of weeks before the car arrives at my local dealer where

it
will receive a full service and ‘veleting’ (I think that is how you spell
it).

I actually meant to type 'valeting'

Dave

Old June 22nd 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

"Dave Dew" wrote in message
[...]

the kit to do this "magical thing "costs about £30 to £35
most valetters dont do it correctly(as a rule the priming coat should be
left on for at least 2 hours,our guy used to always do these and leave them
overnite)
best to buy the kit and do it yourself
use google
try also diamondbrite in your search
they do work quite well as long as you dont use very hot water when washing
(i.e steam cleaner)
they also have their own recommended car wash solutions

personally i have always used wash n wax from wilko's
and if in doubt i pour an eggcup full of autoglym into the wash solution at
the same time to leave it all shiney

Old June 23rd 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"mindwipe" wrote in message

the kit to do this "magical thing "costs about £30 to £35
most valetters dont do it correctly(as a rule the priming coat should be
left on for at least 2 hours,our guy used to always do these and leave

them
overnite)
best to buy the kit and do it yourself
use google
try also diamondbrite in your search
they do work quite well as long as you dont use very hot water when

washing
(i.e steam cleaner)
they also have their own recommended car wash solutions

personally i have always used wash n wax from wilko's
and if in doubt i pour an eggcup full of autoglym into the wash solution

at
the same time to leave it all shiney

Thanks for that. Forgive my ignorance but who are 'wilko's ?

Regards.

Dave.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

"Dave Dew" wrote in message

"mindwipe" wrote in message

the kit to do this "magical thing "costs about £30 to £35
most valetters dont do it correctly(as a rule the priming coat should be
left on for at least 2 hours,our guy used to always do these and leave

them
overnite)
best to buy the kit and do it yourself
use google
try also diamondbrite in your search
they do work quite well as long as you dont use very hot water when

washing
(i.e steam cleaner)
they also have their own recommended car wash solutions

personally i have always used wash n wax from wilko's
and if in doubt i pour an eggcup full of autoglym into the wash solution

at
the same time to leave it all shiney

Thanks for that. Forgive my ignorance but who are 'wilko's ?

its not ignorance
wilko is simply my local discount store
similar ones are poundstretcher etc

Regards.

Dave.

Old June 24th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Oh, thats a shame. I thought you were from "Seth Efrica"!