TV abroad

Old August 9th 03, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Default TV abroad

"Mark B" wrote in message
I am in Holland at the moment with a UK TV on a site with cable hookup. I
can get a really good picture, but no sound apart from 'fuzz'. The site
owners can find no problem with the signal - I am clearly recieving it
because I get the pictures.

Is this a problem because I have a UK TV and it will not recieve the Dutch
signal or
maybe My TV is U/S?

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had these problems
before I buy another TV!!!

There are several different flavours of the PAL standard for transmitting
video and sound as a UHF signal. In UK the carrier signal for the sound is
(I think) 6MHz away from that for the video - but in different countries the
separation is different. So with a UK set in Holland, either the video or
the sound is correctly tuned - but not both at the same time. If you're
doing a lot of travelling, you need a multi-standard set - on which you can
switch to the standard for each country you visit.

Roger