Wheel nut indicators

Old June 23rd 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Default Wheel nut indicators

I've just installed some Checkpoint wheel nut thingies on the van which
are supposed to show if your wheel nuts are working loose.

Do you think they're any use?

They certainly look very pretty.

Old June 23rd 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 23 Jun 2005 01:25:03 -0700, "Mr W Z Boson" wrote:

| I've just installed some Checkpoint wheel nut thingies on the van which
| are supposed to show if your wheel nuts are working loose.
|
| Do you think they're any use?
|
| They certainly look very pretty.

As I lost a wheel, which resulted in the loss of the van, and that was only
a couple of hours after I done a walk round, I am all in favour of anything
which checks that the wheel nuts are tight.

We use some spring things, which go round the nuts, which we got from the
Tyron people at an exhibition. They seem to have gone off the market.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old June 23rd 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 23rd 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Mr W Z Boson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just installed some Checkpoint wheel nut thingies on the van which
are supposed to show if your wheel nuts are working loose.

Do you think they're any use?

They certainly look very pretty.

Not heard of these before.
What are they like and how do they allert you?
Do they get hidden under the wheel trim?
My experience with wheel nuts on cars and caravans is that when you wish to
remove them they are very difficult to get loose.
Once I placed a six foot tube over the spanner and put my 15 stones on the
end of the tube and all I did was bend the wheel spanner! I had to take the
car to the dealer who took over an hour to remove them and in doing so
destroyred them and fitted a complete new set includeing the locking nuts.
I was glad I had a warranty.
So I do not worry about wheels comeing off in use.

Please reply to News Group.

Old June 23rd 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , David
writes

Once I placed a six foot tube over the spanner and put my 15 stones on the
end of the tube and all I did was bend the wheel spanner! I had to take the
car to the dealer who took over an hour to remove them and in doing so
destroyred them

Because some mechanic cnut did them up with a windygun set on "full"

A good rule when having wheels fitted by 3rd parties is to take your own
wheelbrace along with you when you collect your vehicle and make sure
they are not on too tight.
--
Mr X

Old June 24th 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Caravan wheel nuts are supposed to be fully tight at 65 lbsft torque. Any
more than this and you will never get them undone.

--
All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

oups.com...

Old June 25th 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

I agree, all good garages do the final nip with a torque wrench, if you want
to go around with a toytown spanner and slack the nuts afterwards, that's up
to you. Also most garages now stipulate rechecking wheel nut tightness after
50 miles and stick a little get out of jail free card on the steering wheel.
IMHO it's the loose nut behind the steering wheel that causes most
accidents.

Robin

"Peter K L Milnes" wrote in message
Caravan wheel nuts are supposed to be fully tight at 65 lbsft torque. Any
more than this and you will never get them undone.

--
All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).