Ferry crossings

Old August 10th 03, 05:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
LunnBelleyetere

Default Ferry crossings

Just seen on the news that ferry companies have launced a website and are
trying to get back some customers lost to the budget airlines.
Website address is
WWW.sailanddrive.com

Old August 10th 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"LunnBelleyetere" wrote in message
Just seen on the news that ferry companies have launced a website and are
trying to get back some customers lost to the budget airlines.
Website address is
WWW.sailanddrive.com

Just had a look at the site. Thought I would try my luck at a cheap crossing
with the caravan!! Logged on to Freedom Fares. This year it cost me 141
next year 646. Could someone else try just to confirm I am not going mad.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old August 10th 03, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

gill107 wrote:

"klyne" wrote in message

Just had a look at the site. Thought I would try my luck at a cheap

crossing
with the caravan!! Logged on to Freedom Fares. This year it cost me 141
next year 646. Could someone else try just to confirm I am not going mad.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk

---------------------------------
I've just tried for our motorhome 7.24m long:
Out 6th April. In 5th May
468 against 180 this year (with the Caravan Club).

Gillian

Hi Gillian: 7.24 metres, roughly 24 feet!
By the way; For comparison I had sent a copy of the 'Marine
Atlantic' ferry rates between Sydney Nova Scotia and the island
of Newfoundland, Canada, to that "Channel Pirates" site hosted by
Jonathan Miller at Sunday Times.
The gist of it is that the (eight hour under non winter
conditions) crossings, costs, in 2003, the equivalent of about 45
pence per mile for a vehicle under 20 feet.
For a 20 to 30 foot unit (trailer/caravan plus car) the rate is
about the equiv. of 69 pence per mile. A commercial vehicle of 20
to 30 feet length pays about 93 pence per mile. These are all
one-way.
It should be emphasized that this is an all year service that can
encounter very rough conditions due to weather and ice etc. So
the cost of delays, waiting off shore in high winds for sometimes
up to 18 hours or more, vehicles getting loose even though
chained down and the occasional tractor-trailer/lorry fire must
be included in the overall cost of the operation.
There is also a summer operation which takes 14-16 hours from
Nova scotia to the east side of the island of Newfoundland which
as far as I can calculate costs a little less per mile than the
Sydney NS to Port Aux Basques NF run for all vehicle lengths.
Just thought those costs it might be interesting? St. Lawrence
sea conditions, especially when there is a lot of winter, spring
and early summer ice (the tourists come in July and August to see
giant icebergs and whales!) are probably much more severe than
the North Sea?
Cheers. Terry.
Old August 10th 03, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gray

HI David
No you are not going mad the Ferry companies are trying it on again

Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk

You don't have to be mad ..... but it helps

"klyne" wrote in message

Just had a look at the site. Thought I would try my luck at a cheap

crossing
with the caravan!! Logged on to Freedom Fares. This year it cost me 141
next year 646. Could someone else try just to confirm I am not going mad.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

---

Old August 11th 03, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris Wilkinson

In message , Nick Trollope
writes
Nick
Member of Brit Ferries Travel Club, which still makes crossings a
fortune....

I'm also a member of the BFTC but the two most recent crossings have
been cheaper and faster by Condor Ferries. 149 and 129 return
unlimited period for Land Rover and 2 passengers. BF price over 400.
OK so I do take a cabin on the night crossing but that does not account
for a 250 difference.

Rip off ferries.

CHRIS
--
Chris Wilkinson - Dubna Systems
Due to virus bombardment please note that any email containing a virus will be
Old August 14th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Logged on to Freedom Fares. This year it cost me 141
next year 646. Could someone else try just to confirm I am not going

mad.

P&O told me the special offer Freedom Fares will not be available until
sometime in September.
Their website's unintelligible at present.
DaveK.