Twin axle caravans abroad

Old June 25th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alanepeacock

Default Twin axle caravans abroad

We are looking to buy a twin axle caravan to tour europe with, but have been
told that this type is not allowed on all foreign sites. Does anyone know
anything about this? Any information would be welcome.
Thank you,
Alan & Ann Peacock.

Old June 25th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"alanepeacock" wrote in message
We are looking to buy a twin axle caravan to tour europe with, but have

been
told that this type is not allowed on all foreign sites. Does anyone know
anything about this? Any information would be welcome.
Thank you,
Alan & Ann Peacock.

Most French municipal site have a notice outside banning the entry of twin
axle caravans. It is a coded way of keeping out gypsies and circus people
who tend to use this type of caravan. You would probably be alright on
private sites as they usually have the reception office at the entrance
manned or if not a locked barrier. I do not know about the rest of Europe.

I have never handled a twin axle van but would not consider them as ideal
for touring as those I have seen are always very large. I can only speak
for France and the Costa Brava in Spain, but a large twin axle van would
restrict your freedom when trying to get into most of the best sites we
know.

Regards,
Dave.

Old June 25th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

Another aspect is the size of these vans.

Apart from their fuel-guzzling requirements, they are very difficult to
install in many sites - particularly in Italy & Spain, where pitch
sizes are often very small. In Italy particularly, you often have to
leave your car off-site because there's not enough room for it
on-pitch.

In France, many of the "popular" sites (for example coastal) also have
tight entry/exit/manoeuvring.

So - unless you have a specific need, I'd advise a smaller van.

Old June 26th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

We have been touring France for the last seven years with a 8mtr long twin
axle caravan and have never ever come across a site that have turned us away
because of our twin axle van even municipal sites.

I would be interested if any other vanners have experienced this problem.

Keith

ups.com...

Old June 26th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr W Z Boson

I know that many French Municipal sites are festooned with a notice
forbidding "essieu double" or "deux essieux" - whether or not they put
that into practice is another matter. For what it's worth the Caravan
Club notes ..

"Recent visitors report that bona-fide caravanners with twin axle
caravans may be allowed entry, but this is negotiable with the warden
at the time of arrival"

It's probably wise to avoid those municipal (usually small) sites that
operate a "pitch then pay" policy.

I'd be more concerned about the size - we've seen plenty of sites where
our modestly proportioned (4.5 x 4.5m with awning + car) outfit is a
tight squeeze. We once (mistakenly) selected "Camping du Pylone" in
Antibes and gave up on it coz we couldn't get round the corners (mind
you, I am a crap driver)

You could always restrict your choice to Alan Rogers listed places -
but despite the luxury, you'll then find yourself plagued with southern
Brits asking to borrow your tomato ketchup

Keith wrote:
We have been touring France for the last seven years with a 8mtr long twin
axle caravan and have never ever come across a site that have turned us away
because of our twin axle van even municipal sites.

I would be interested if any other vanners have experienced this problem.

Keith

ups.com...