Gas supply - 30 milliBar Euro regulator

Old June 27th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Carroll

Default Gas supply - 30 milliBar Euro regulator

Now that the warmer weather is here, I have changed over from propane to
butane gas in our 6-month old caravan. It is fitted with the new Euro 30
mBar Regulator. The only problem is that the fridge exhaust now gets so hot
that it burns the plastic parts at the exhaust outlet (the pepper pot
fitting and the grille on the outside) and has also started to melt
insulation on electrical wiring in that area - all accompanied by an
unpleasant smell of overheating plastics.

Previously fridges operated on a gas supply pressure of 37 mBar for propane
and 28 mBar for butane. I am guessing that in order to compensate for the 7
mBar reduction in pressure for propane operation, the fridge jet has been
opened up to maintain performance. However, it seems that this results in
overheating, when used on the higher calorific value butane.

The supplier of the caravan tell me that it is 'recommended' that only
propane be used.

Has anyone else had this problem, or is it my installation that's at fault?

Jeremy Carroll

Old June 27th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:22:16 +0000 (UTC), "Jeremy Carroll"
wrote:

| Now that the warmer weather is here, I have changed over from propane to
| butane gas in our 6-month old caravan. It is fitted with the new Euro 30
| mBar Regulator.

It is still under guarantee take it back where you bought it.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old June 27th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old June 27th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

wrote:

| Now that the warmer weather is here, I have changed over from propane to
| butane gas in our 6-month old caravan. It is fitted with the new Euro 30
| mBar Regulator.

It is still under guarantee take it back where you bought it.

Did not see Jeremy's original post but all he needs is to buy a different
pigtail to fit the cylinder, the new type of regulator suits all types of
gas. The dealer obviously provided him with the pigtail that matched his
cylinders at the time of purchase. Mind you not quite sure why you are
bothering to change back to Butane, far easier to use Propane all year!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old June 27th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

Old June 27th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Abbey Spectrum

"Jeremy Carroll" wrote in message
Now that the warmer weather is here, I have changed over from propane to
butane gas in our 6-month old caravan.

Why change? Most of us who are year-round caravanners just stick to propane.

Old June 27th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes
wrote:

| Now that the warmer weather is here, I have changed over from propane to
| butane gas in our 6-month old caravan. It is fitted with the new Euro 30
| mBar Regulator.

It is still under guarantee take it back where you bought it.

The OP said:

"The supplier of the caravan tells me that it is 'recommended' that only
propane be used."

And in spite of that advice he is using it on butane and having
problems.

So how is that any fault of the supplier and why do you think the
supplier is under any obligation to fix the problem?
--
Mr X
Old June 27th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

Old June 27th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeremy Carroll

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

The OP said:

"The supplier of the caravan tells me that it is 'recommended' that only
propane be used."

And in spite of that advice he is using it on butane and having
problems.

So how is that any fault of the supplier and why do you think the
supplier is under any obligation to fix the problem?
--
Mr X

I was only told of this 'recommendation' after I reported the fault to the
supplier, this afternoon. The handbook is quite clear that it should work on
either propane or butane. Also I bought the alternative tail for the butane
bottle from the supplier when I collected the caravan and at no time was
there any suggestion that butane was a less satisfactory fuel.

The reason for asking the question is to find out if, in practice, the new
Euro Regulator replaces the two different pressure regulators used
previously, without introducing any problems. Do I have a fault with the
fridge (which otherwise works splendidly) or is this a problem that others
with the new Euro regulator have seen?

And in answer to another poster asking why use butane, I have four reasons.
a. More energy stored in a bottle - it lasts longer
b. It is much easier to connect a new bottle - particularly in the dark
c. It costs less
d. It smells less intrusively when it burns.

Thanks to those others who have offered views on the subject.

Jeremy Carroll