slow cooker cooking ideas

Old August 10th 03, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
paul campbell

Default slow cooker cooking ideas

As a newbie, my caravan has no oven. Someone suggested that I use a slow
cooker. Has anyone got any good suggestions on what good things I can cook
and how, please.

Old August 10th 03, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barleycorn

"paul campbell" wrote in message
As a newbie, my caravan has no oven. Someone suggested that I use a slow
cooker. Has anyone got any good suggestions on what good things I can cook
and how, please.

First, catch your hare...............

Old August 10th 03, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

Barleycorn wrote:

First, catch your hare...............

I thought that was Mrs Beeton (sp)?
Old August 10th 03, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:53:49 +0100, "paul campbell"
wrote:

| As a newbie, my caravan has no oven. Someone suggested that I use a slow
| cooker. Has anyone got any good suggestions on what good things I can cook
| and how, please.

Haybox?
Boil the dish.
Put it in a *very* well insulated container.
wait.
eat.

Get a big old pan which you can not ruin.
Make a grid to keep things off the bottom.
Put it on the gas.
Pretend it is an oven.
It works.

Dave Fawthrop Butane v Propane.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives
about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near
freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting.

Old August 10th 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
smiler

"paul campbell" wrote in message
As a newbie, my caravan has no oven. Someone suggested that I use a slow
cooker. Has anyone got any good suggestions on what good things I can cook
and how, please.

SWMBO is the expert, but in my view what your friend means is a multicooker
which you can do a lot with,. stews, cakes, roasts etc in other words
anything that can be baked or roasted according to time is possible. When
you take the lid off there can be a heat loss. Index catalogue p 695 30.
We also use ours in the home.

We also have a Remoska ??? which can be obtained from obtained from
Lakeland plastics which only uses 500w or so. its more pricey about 70 (you
can buy on line) This is very good

Both of these are non-stick but we usually use foil to extend the life and
make washing up easier. (not on the business part of the Remoska obviously.

I would think that a slow cooker could only be used for stews and soups etc,
but it could well make a rice pudd'n'. We might try it but not leave it
unattended until we see what happens, milk does have a tendency to boil
over.

Cheers
Smiler

Old August 12th 03, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Judith Mott

You can buy something called a 'skillet', which is like 2 pans that
inter-lock and create an oven type of cooking facility. I used to use one
in our caravan when we had no oven, and successfully cooked roast meals,
jacket potatoes, toasted cheese sandwiches, etc. It also came with a glass
lid for doing stews, and veg. I've not seen them for sale in shops - only
at caravan shows where they demonstrate the versatility of them - we paid
about 34.00 for ours I think. My mum has got one, never used, for sale, as
it was a present to her from us, then my dad died suddenly, so she now has
no need for it. If you're in the south west and interested, let me know.
Jude

Old August 12th 03, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Man in the tree

We use a slow cooker in our caravan. I bought it at a car boot sale for
about 5. As others have mentioned they are mainly for stews or similar,
e.g. spag. bolognese, curries,

Try and get one with 3 heat settings, Low, auto, and high

If you want recipes go to Google http://www.google.com/ and type slow cooker
recipe and you will get about 72,000 hits.

They are also known as a crockpot.

Here is an easy curry for 2 people You can get all this at your local Tesco
etc.

500 grams diced meat (lamb, or steak)
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped (optional)
about half cup of cauliflour roughly chopped (optional)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
A good squirt of tomatoe puree (from a tube)
one fifth of a jar of either Pataks Madras curry PASTE or, Pataks rogan josh
PASTE (a bit milder)
Make sure it's paste and not sauce
About a cup of water

Also you need:-
Basmati rice, about a cup
naan bread
mango chutney

Method
Turn the slow cooker on "high" while you are having breakfast
Prepare all the stuf
Chuck it all in the slow cooker
Turn to Low
Go out for the day (7 or 8 hours)
When you get home, put a saucepan of water on for the rice, when boiling
time for about 10 minutes then strain. (I presume you have a gas hob)
If you have a toaster, dampen the naan bread and cook for 1 minute,
otherwise cold is OK.
serve with the mango chutney

Yum yum

Trefor