When was my caravan made?

Old June 27th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

Default When was my caravan made?

Part of the chassis number is SGUS000CUP09.

I understand that part of this number gives the date that the van was made,
but how do I decifer it?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old June 28th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Alan Holmes wrote:
Part of the chassis number is SGUS000CUP09.

I understand that part of this number gives the date that the van was made,
but how do I decifer it?

The caravan is CRIS registered with a 17 digit VIN number. If you take
the 10th digit this denotes the year, starting in 1992 with the letter
'N' up to 2000 with the letter 'Y'. After 2001 the 10th digit is a
number which gives the year. You've only quoted 12 digits but assuming
there are more afterwards your 10th character is P meaning the van was
CRIS registered in 1991 ( as with car registration numbers O, I and Q
are ignored to save confusion :-) )

I think all that's correct, others may put me right.

Hope that helps

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address

Old June 28th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Another Dave wrote:

Alan Holmes wrote:
Part of the chassis number is SGUS000CUP09.

I understand that part of this number gives the date that the van
was made, but how do I decifer it?

The caravan is CRIS registered with a 17 digit VIN number. If you take
the 10th digit this denotes the year, starting in 1992 with the letter
'N' up to 2000 with the letter 'Y'. After 2001 the 10th digit is a
number which gives the year. You've only quoted 12 digits but assuming
there are more afterwards your 10th character is P meaning the van was
CRIS registered in 1991 ( as with car registration numbers O, I and Q
are ignored to save confusion :-) )

I'n confused! Surely if the CRIS VIN system didn't start until 1992, no van
can have a VIN issued in 1991? Perhaps you mean that P is 1993? Even so, I
can't make your explanation work - 'cos if 1992 is N, 2000 would end up as X
rather than Y, having left out O and Q.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old June 28th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:06:21 +0100, Another Dave
wrote:

Alan Holmes wrote:
Part of the chassis number is SGUS000CUP09.

I understand that part of this number gives the date that the van was made,
but how do I decifer it?

The caravan is CRIS registered with a 17 digit VIN number. If you take
the 10th digit this denotes the year, starting in 1992 with the letter
'N' up to 2000 with the letter 'Y'. After 2001 the 10th digit is a
number which gives the year. You've only quoted 12 digits but assuming
there are more afterwards your 10th character is P meaning the van was
CRIS registered in 1991 ( as with car registration numbers O, I and Q
are ignored to save confusion :-) )

I think all that's correct, others may put me right.

Hope that helps

Another Dave

Blimey. Why can't they just put the year?

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old June 28th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Hitch Lock wrote:

I'n confused! Surely if the CRIS VIN system didn't start until 1992, no van
can have a VIN issued in 1991? Perhaps you mean that P is 1993? Even so, I
can't make your explanation work - 'cos if 1992 is N, 2000 would end up as X
rather than Y, having left out O and Q.

Oops! Sorry. I did mean to type 1993 - honest.

As to the second question, I forgot you leave out U as well so as not to
confuse it with V.

And what are they going to do in 2010?

I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have bothered ;-{

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address

Old June 28th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Another Dave wrote:

Hitch Lock wrote:

I'n confused! Surely if the CRIS VIN system didn't start until 1992,
no van can have a VIN issued in 1991? Perhaps you mean that P is
1993? Even so, I can't make your explanation work - 'cos if 1992 is
N, 2000 would end up as X rather than Y, having left out O and Q.

Oops! Sorry. I did mean to type 1993 - honest.

As to the second question, I forgot you leave out U as well so as not
to confuse it with V.

Ah, that makes better sense!

And what are they going to do in 2010?

Good question! I suppose they've got A-M to go at, which should keep them
going for a few more years. Then perhaps they will repeat the whole thing -
it shouldn't be too difficult to distinguish a 2020 van from one made in
1992, even if they do have the same year code! On the other hand, they'll
probably have a completely different system with a 57-character VIN by then.
Cheers,
Hitch Lock
______