Recommended dealers

Old June 28th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

Default Recommended dealers

Can anyone recommend a used caravan dealer in the North West/North
Midlands/North Wales, based on personal experience (particularly when
something goes wrong)?

TIA

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone
Old June 28th 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Paul Rooney" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a used caravan dealer in the North West/North
Midlands/North Wales, based on personal experience (particularly when
something goes wrong)?

Oo-er - what's up, Paul?

Mary

Old June 28th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:33:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Paul Rooney" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone recommend a used caravan dealer in the North West/North
Midlands/North Wales, based on personal experience (particularly when
something goes wrong)?

Oo-er - what's up, Paul?

Mary

Ha ha! Nothing! I haven't bought one yet - still checking out lots of
different things. But it would be good to know of dealers that posters
have been done well by when things have gone wrong - that's a good
measure, I reckon.

I haven't decided what to buy - so many different choices! What I
might just do is buy an old cheapo 'van for a few hundred squids and
see whether I like caravanning. Then, if I decide it's for me, get a
decent used 'van. I'd probably go to a dealer as I believe it's safer
than buying privately - but I don't know whether a dealer might be a
complete cowboy. Hence my query.

The only thing I do know is that I want a short caravan, as I want to
keep it on the drive along with the car, and there's not a lot of
space any more.

I'm currently absorbing all the info in Practical Caravan, and
everything I can find on the internet, but you can't beat a personal
recommendation.

One thing I've noticed is that so many adverts are deficient - don't
give age/weight/dimensions/equipment or some other essential bit of
info. But the range of choices is bewildering.

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old June 28th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Paul Rooney" wrote in message

Oo-er - what's up, Paul?

Mary

Ha ha! Nothing! I haven't bought one yet - still checking out lots of
different things. But it would be good to know of dealers that posters
have been done well by when things have gone wrong - that's a good
measure, I reckon.

I thought you were already a caravanner ...

Mary
puzzled

Old June 28th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:11:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Paul Rooney" wrote in message
.. .

Oo-er - what's up, Paul?

Mary

Ha ha! Nothing! I haven't bought one yet - still checking out lots of
different things. But it would be good to know of dealers that posters
have been done well by when things have gone wrong - that's a good
measure, I reckon.

I thought you were already a caravanner ...

Mary
puzzled

No - I'm an about-to-be-caravanner! Usually I camp, sleep in the car,
or rent a cottage in the country. A caravan looks like a very tempting
alternative, given the frequency of my jaunts. The car's OK for an
overnighter, but not for a week. The tent's too cramped for my
purposes these days, and much as I enjoy staying in a country cottage,
it can't be arranged at 5 minutes' notice.

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old June 29th 05, 06:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:32:07 +0100, Paul Rooney
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a used caravan dealer in the North West/North
Midlands/North Wales, based on personal experience (particularly when
something goes wrong)?

Not much to go wrong with a caravan these days and certainly not
enough to warrant paying the high prices from dealers.

The only real dread is damp and for that take a damp meter when you
view. Even the ripoff annual servicing is surplus to requirements
really, just get your local mechanic to come by and do a check and
adjust on the brakes and thats about it, the rest is common sense.

You can buy a decent 1990+ van these days for around a grand, if it
lasts you a year your quids in on B&Bs, Cottages etc (assuming you
use it) and then you have it sitting around costing you nothing,
great.

The only downside is storage and the need to plan your trips a little
better than just camping or whatever.

Dont be afraid buying 2nd hand, let your nose and instincts be your
guide, you'll soon spot a lemon even if you cant smell it. Too many
people get caught up in the hype and are afraid to put their toes in
the water.

If you spend a grand and decide you dont like caravans after a year,
you lose nothing. Spend ten grand and you'll be mighty sorry, not to
mention the "I told you so" from the missus.

Go for it and good luck old chap.

Pete, I mean Mark, er....!! wot day is it?