Caravan number plates falling off?

Old August 10th 03, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick

Default Caravan number plates falling off?

Hi

Has anyone else suffered this?

Have had a caravan on and off for twenty years and the old, Pre legislation
/ make yourself number plates stayed on because there was adhesive on all of
the plates' surface.

Having changed the caravan recently and followed the letter of the law ( pun
almost intended !) I have found the new number plate, which is heavier than
the previous one, is supplied with silly little adhesive stickers and it
has fallen off twice. I guess the current heatwave is to blame but last time
it fell off it was lost on a motorway. As the van was being used by my son
it has brought about a problem.........He cannot get a new plate without
vehicle documents etc.....

Anyone know of a guaranteed way to keep em on?

Mick

Old August 10th 03, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:03:29 +0100, "Mick"
wrote:

| Hi
|
| Has anyone else suffered this?
|
| Have had a caravan on and off for twenty years and the old, Pre legislation
| / make yourself number plates stayed on because there was adhesive on all of
| the plates' surface.
|
| Having changed the caravan recently and followed the letter of the law ( pun
| almost intended !) I have found the new number plate, which is heavier than
| the previous one, is supplied with silly little adhesive stickers and it
| has fallen off twice. I guess the current heatwave is to blame but last time
| it fell off it was lost on a motorway. As the van was being used by my son
| it has brought about a problem.........He cannot get a new plate without
| vehicle documents etc.....
|
| Anyone know of a guaranteed way to keep em on?

Screw it on while **sealing** the holes.

A dozen strips of advesive stickers

Dave F

Old August 10th 03, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I bought mine from Halfords in Kirkcaldy and they stuck it on with 3 pieces
of heavy duty double sided tape.

Old August 10th 03, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Stewart" wrote in message
I bought mine from Halfords in Kirkcaldy and they stuck it on with 3

pieces
of heavy duty double sided tape.

I'm wanting a new but do not like the free adverts I have to give to the
supplier. But at Halfords theirs are marked Halfords but very discretly.

Please reply to News Group.

Old August 10th 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

"Mick" wrote in message
[...]

We bolts them on! Using nylon bolts and nuts (or stainless),
often available as little kit, for the equiv. of say 25p to 50p.
Avoids corrosion and at a pinch if the nylon cannot be unscrewed
it can be cut away with a chisel or whatever to remove the plate.
Compared to the UK our trailers (caravans et al.) are registered
separately (it costs the equiv. of about 20 quid IIRC, in this
province of Canada, whereas a motor car or personal pickup truck
costs about 60 quid.)
Trailer number plates start with TA, TB etc. So there's no
problem loaning, borrowing or renting a trailer (caravan), or
boat, skidoo, ATV (All terrain vehicle), wood hauling, or one of
those U-Mix concrete trailers, provided you make sure your
insurance covers you for towing it. Suitable hitches with safety
chains and lights are essential but the only time they seem to
get checked is out on the highway where people are towing at
speed and for distances. I've never heard of 'Highway
Enforcement' or the police checking trailers locally unless a
unit was clearly overloaded or defective.
Terry.
PS. Privately owned vehicles (in this province) bear only a rear
plate. That includes our two pickup trucks which although
licensed with 'C' plates (commercial; supposedly require front
and rear plates) but since they are owned and operated for
private residential/family use have only the rear plate. The
confirmation of this was that whenever Motor Registration have
sent out our annual renewal 'stickers' that one affixes to the
plates as designated, they have sent us only one sticker per
vehicle, whether it be a car or pickup truck! So it goes on the
back plate.
Our latest vehicle (a brand new pickup in 2002) did come with two
plates; both (one on top of the other) on the back. So we took
one of them and put it on our slide in truck camper. That plate
can be removed in minutes if we sell or loan that camper (which
does not count as a separate unit because it is mounted on/in the
truck). We are about to renew that registration and will of
course receive only one sticker. It'll be interesting to see if
any highway patrol want's to discuss it when that one sticker is
on the lower and less visible rear plate of the vehicle due to
the overhang of the camper unit!
PPS. I guess one advantage of separate registration and plates is
that only the Motor Registration are allowed to issue the plates
and like motor vehicles one has to either send in a portion of
the license form showing sale/change of ownership or surrender
the plates when the trailer/vehicle is scrapped. Not perfect but
seems to work quite well.
Old August 10th 03, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick

thanks for your ideas one and all........

I am a bit reluctant to screw holes in a three year old van, but maybe it's
something I shall have to do.!

Mick

Old August 10th 03, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:42:42 +0100, "Mick"
wrote:

thanks for your ideas one and all........

I am a bit reluctant to screw holes in a three year old van, but maybe it's
something I shall have to do.!

Goto a caravan dealers and get a length of the sealant mastic tape
that they use on awning rails, sufficient for two lengths of the
number plate. Cut it in half , stick it onto the back of the plate and
press into place, it works a treat and is very effective.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 10th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Halfords stock the large pads required to keep the number plates on if you like
the separate plates. They will make up number plates to suit if you take in your
necessaries with you. Till then your son will have to write the number on a
piece of card and place it in the rear window or attach it top the rear in the
correct place.

Cheers, Peter.

"Mick" wrote in message
: Hi
:

Old August 11th 03, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
Halfords stock the large pads required to keep the number plates on if you

like
the separate plates. They will make up number plates to suit if you take

in your
necessaries with you. Till then your son will have to write the number on

piece of card and place it in the rear window or attach it top the rear in

the
correct place.

Cheers, Peter.

"Mick" wrote in message
: Hi
:
[...]

Rear view mirror sticky pads. They stick like wotsits to a blanket and how
hot has your windscreen been over the last few weeks and is your mirror
still attached?

Paul

Old August 11th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Clive

"Mick" wrote in message ...
Hi

Has anyone else suffered this?

Have had a caravan on and off for twenty years and the old, Pre legislation
/ make yourself number plates stayed on because there was adhesive on all of
the plates' surface.

As the van was being used by my son
it has brought about a problem.........He cannot get a new plate without
vehicle documents etc.....

Anyone know of a guaranteed way to keep em on?

Mick

It seems that the only people this legislation doesn't cause a problem
for are the people it was designed to stop, they probably get hold of
the pates in bulk. Whilst Joe public struggles and is inconvenienced
at every turn. It would really help if you only needed all your
documents to get the white front plate.

Clive