Frontera for towing?

Old August 10th 03, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard C. Ferryman

Default Frontera for towing?

I have looked at various options for towing a van with an MTPLM of
around 1500kg. I considered various estate cars which all had too low
a kerbweight and would be pushed hard. I then looked at 4x4s such as
Discovery, Cherokee etc. In my budget is a Frontera diesel engined
4x4. Casn anyone comment on this decision... is it reliable,
comfortable, stable and economical or is it a pig?
Thanks
Richard
Old August 12th 03, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Judith Mott

Hi Richard. We've got a Frontera 2.2 DTi, which we tow a Bailey Ranger
500/5 with and it's a dream. We almost forget we're towing! It's also a
very practical vehicle for a family, economical on the diesel, although
can't tell you how many miles to the gallon, it seems to go a long way
without refuelling. It's comfortable to travel in, probably not the best
drive ever, but OK. Would definitely recommend it. Good luck with your
choice. From Ju

Old August 12th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Del

Richard. We are on Fronterra number 3 and wouldn't have anything else.
Currently we have a 2.2 DTI RS Sport with which we tow a Lunar Lexon
EB. I can confirm it tows with no trouble and returns a fuel
consumption when towing of between 26 - 30 mpg. With a nose weght of
98 kgs it makes for a very stable tow vehicle. Prior to this we had a
2.2 Petrol in the same model which whilst acceptable as a tow vehicle
was no match for the diesel and was also thirsty with the van on the
back.