cheaper insurance question

Old June 30th 05, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Coombs

Default cheaper insurance question

as we only use our caravan a couple of times a year, and the rest
of the time its on a secure lock up site, is there an insurance
company that can do a quote based on the low risk? and usage

any advice experiences much appreciated

Simon

Old June 30th 05, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John East

In message , Simon Coombs
writes
as we only use our caravan a couple of times a year, and the rest
of the time its on a secure lock up site, is there an insurance
company that can do a quote based on the low risk? and usage

any advice experiences much appreciated

Simon

You could try caravan club - I dont expect that it is the cheapest but
they at least know what is involved!
--
John East

Old June 30th 05, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Simon Coombs" wrote in message
as we only use our caravan a couple of times a year, and the rest
of the time its on a secure lock up site, is there an insurance
company that can do a quote based on the low risk? and usage

First bit of advice is don't treat a secure lockup as secure, to pikeys it's
a caravan supermarket. Also, you're unlikely to get a low useage insurance
cos, unlike a car, you can't prove it.

The last time I insured a caravan it was with CIS, the premium was
competitive with no silly rules like having a wheelclamp fitted or whatever.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 30th 05, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Why exactly is having a wheel clamp silly ? If you had a business insuring
caravans as a living would it not be prudent to ask your customers to take
prudent measures to at least try to minimise the risk of having it stolen. I
have never insured a caravan and come across a customer who ever moaned
about fitting one. However some do insist on more measures like a hitchlock
etc as well. This may be over the top and negate any savings in premium but
expect to have to fit one anti theft device. Even if it was not a condition
of the insurance I still would. If Billy burglar broke into your storage
site and came across 10 caravans 7 with clamps 3 without I bet you I know
which one he would go for first. Why even bother cutting it off (even if it
is easy for an accomplished thief) if there is one next to it without one on
?

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old June 30th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Tinkapace" wrote in message news:TROwe.79872
If Billy burglar broke into your storage
site and came across 10 caravans 7 with clamps 3 without I bet you I know
which one he would go for first. Why even bother cutting it off (even if

it
is easy for an accomplished thief) if there is one next to it without one

on
?

If they want your caravan they will take it.
Near here a caravan stored at a house, wheel clamps at both sides and a
hitch lock. All OK when owner went to work after breakfast but all had gone
on return teatime. No bits of cut off clamps/hitch lock and no one on the
houseing estate had seen it go.

Please reply to News Group.

Old June 30th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I agree but if one had been next to it of a similar quality without any
security I wonder which they would have taken