TV abroad

Old August 10th 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Default TV abroad

In article ,
says...
| I am in Holland at the moment with a UK TV on a site with cable hookup. I
| can get a really good picture, but no sound apart from 'fuzz'. The site
| owners can find no problem with the signal - I am clearly recieving it
| because I get the pictures.

The sound IF on a UK TV is out by 500Khz compared to that of the
continent. In other words you can either tune for good picture and no
sound or good sound and no picture.

For instance with two UK standard TV's, you could tune one for picture
and one for sound.

More modern TV's can be reset by the dealers by a little reprogramming.
Much older sets could have their sound IF retuned. If your set is
between these two it requires major modification.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old August 11th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

bowtiejim wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in

message
t...
In article ,
says...
| I am in Holland at the moment with a UK TV on a site with

cable
hookup. I | can get a really good picture, but no sound apart

from
'fuzz'. The site | owners can find no problem with the

signal - I
am clearly recieving it | because I get the pictures.

Despite Sydney Kalms (Dixons) objecting to the Euro, in my

wanderings
around the shops in Holland while my wife does her shopping, I

came
to the conclusion that UK prices for TVs, DVD players etc were

pretty
competitive if not better than Dutch, French or Belgian.

Belgium
used to be cheaper for cameras, but with the multiplicity of

Digital
cameras I find it hard to draw a comparison. With my latest

digital
camera, I saved several hundreds of pounds buying in the UK.
Computers and their components are definitely cheaper in the UK

by
mail order.

The trouble with a multi-standard set is that the majority of

the UK
market doesn't need or want one; they maybe cheaper therefore

to buy
abroad. It all sounds like a good argument for going to

satellite if
you have to watch TV while abroad.

On a scuba diving holiday to Tenerife I recall being amazed at
the prices for video cameras ... they were so cheap you could
have gone over for a weeks holiday and bought the camera for the
same money as just the camera in the UK

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk