Drinks in motorway services

Old July 4th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

Default Drinks in motorway services

The message
from Dave Fawthrop said:

In my other follow up I forgot "look for the Old Road". When they build a
new dual carriage way or motorway they often leave the old road for local
traffic, so it is very quite. Look on the map for it There are *miles*
of this on the A1 and M6 Up North. In Scotland there is sometimes The
Road, The Old Road, and The Old Old Road, which makes some nice Dinner
Places

Quite correct Dave.
Unfortunately over the years local authorities are increasingly blocking
off both the dead ends of the old road and putting in a centre link lane
off the new road for access. You then find yourself in one of two
hammerheads, allowing you to hone your caravan reversing skills to get
out of them.

Pity nobody in the UK publishes a British equivalent of the Michelin
No.914 Motorway Atlas of France. When motoring in France we make notes
in ours of well shielded aires that we pass, ready for next time.

Cheers, John.
Old July 4th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"John Colloff" wrote in message
The message
from Dave Fawthrop said:

As we have a toilet and everything we need to live in the van we have a
list of super doopa laybys, marked on the map which we use in place of
Service areas.

When I joined the Caravan Club in the 1960s that was the prime purpose
of the map that came with the handbook, it marked all caravan usable
laybys on the major routes. John.

In forty five years traffic has increased by a noticeable amount :-)

Mary

Old July 4th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"GrannieAnnie" wrote in message

I like the thermos flask idea the best, I think I'll adopt that this year.

Yes, that's what we use.

We normally stop in a layby to brew and only use the motorway service
stations for petrol, loo and stretching legs. If we are lucky enough to
find a secluded layby with trees in front of the road it's a bonus. We
can have a proper rest and change drivers.

We prefer not to stop on the roadside, it's so noisy.

We are doing a round trip this year, Somerset, then Yorkshire/Cumbria and
finally East Anglia and then home to Kent, so plenty of changing drivers.

Yorkshire? Let us know!

I was quite impressed with the journey planner on the AA website, it shows
the service areas.
http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp

I had a look, it's quite good but out of date. It told us to use local roads
which have been closed for three years :-)

Luckily, because they ARE local, we know how to avoid them but a visitor
might not :-(

Nevertheless, I've bookmarked it, thanks.

Mary

Annie

Old July 6th 05, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:12:48 +0100, GrannieAnnie in message
wrote:

snip

It's the people that don't have caravans I
feel sorry for, they have to pay the prices. We did when we were 'between
caravans'.

That is what thermos flasks are for!

--
Alex Heney
Global Villager

Old July 6th 05, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

| It's the people that don't have caravans I
| feel sorry for, they have to pay the prices. We did when we were 'between
| caravans'.

If you keep your eyes open on Motorway Service Areas, there are lots of
people who take sandwiches and a flask of tea/coffee and eat in their cars,
or if the weather is fine on the grass.

With the event of really waterproof plastic boxes with soft rubber seals,
we sometimes now carry cold deserts to eat. We use Lock and Lock
http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...=lock+and+lock
http://tinyurl.com/axdot
But Morrisons have a cheaper version, and there are probably other brands
available.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old July 6th 05, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 6th 05, 06:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 01:26:32 +0100, Alex Heney wrote:

| On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:12:48 +0100, GrannieAnnie in message
| wrote:
|
| snip
|
| It's the people that don't have caravans I
| feel sorry for, they have to pay the prices. We did when we were 'between
| caravans'.
|
| That is what thermos flasks are for!

We carry stainless steel flasks hot water, and tea/coffee/drinking
chocolate bags. That way you can get your drinks freshly made. IMO a
fantastic improvement on the old glass lined flasks.