Drinks in motorway services

Old July 1st 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jock

Default Drinks in motorway services

Is it allowed it boil a kettle in a motorway service area? I remember
reading something this but can not remember the details.

Old July 2nd 05, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:34:02 GMT, "Jock" wrote:

| Is it allowed it boil a kettle in a motorway service area? I remember
| reading something this but can not remember the details.

There are usually notices about "no naked flames" around the Service area
car parks, because they do not like competition. They want to sell you
overpriced food and drink. We drop the steadies, boil a kettle, and even
make a warm snack, regularly on motorway service areas and have never had
problems.

We have two stainless steel vacuum flasks which we fill with hot water in
a morning. These give us four cups of tea/coffee/drinking chocolate
wherever we are.

As we have a toilet and everything we need to live in the van we have a
list of super doopa laybys, marked on the map which we use in place of
Service areas. Country parks and the like always have good carparks
without the naked flame restriction.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old July 2nd 05, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 2nd 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from Dave Fawthrop said:

As we have a toilet and everything we need to live in the van we have a
list of super doopa laybys, marked on the map which we use in place of
Service areas.

When I joined the Caravan Club in the 1960s that was the prime purpose
of the map that came with the handbook, it marked all caravan usable
laybys on the major routes. John.

Old July 3rd 05, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

"Jock" wrote in message
Is it allowed it boil a kettle in a motorway service area? I remember
reading something this but can not remember the details.

If you have a generator and a low wattage kettle it gets around the "no
naked flames" restriction. Other than that if you want a brew it will have
to be an expensive one in the service station or take a chance on not
getting caught at your own risk.
Does anyone have an experience or knowledge of anyone actually getting
caught and what happened to them?

Ian
Antispam applied

Old July 3rd 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Ian" wrote in message ...

"Jock" wrote in message
Is it allowed it boil a kettle in a motorway service area? I remember
reading something this but can not remember the details.

If you have a generator and a low wattage kettle it gets around the "no
naked flames" restriction. Other than that if you want a brew it will have
to be an expensive one in the service station or take a chance on not
getting caught at your own risk.
Does anyone have an experience or knowledge of anyone actually getting
caught and what happened to them?

We have often stopped and made a brew (using gas) and have never been challenged. Obviously we don't park anywhere near fuel pumps or anything else of a hazardous nature. The 'no naked flame' rule makes sense near the pumps but otherwise, I think, is just there to induce caravanners etc to go and buy a brew. After all, how many lorry drivers (and others) have you seen using naked flames to light their cigs while they have a break in their cab?

Old July 3rd 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Turner

Hi Dave,

as a newcomer to caravanning is there anywhere we can find your super
doopa laybys and and country parks witout height barriers.

We live in north Kent so most trips start with the M2/M26?M25 or
M2?A2/M25.
We went clockwise around the M25 and found a layby at junction 10 on the
A3 squeezed between the lorries but do you or anyone else know good stopping
places close to the M25, M1, M40 or A1.

Thanks for your help.

John Turner