Engine Oill Colour in Vectra 2.2

Old July 2nd 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

Default Engine Oill Colour in Vectra 2.2

I have posted this query on some car NGs but have received no replies so as
it is quite urgent I am posting here as I know many of you are well informed
about cars and engines, whereas I know little.
Yesterday I was looking at a replacement towcar, 2004 Vectra 2.2 Direct
Estate with just 4800 miles on the clock.
I checked the engine oil level just after the engine had been running and
saw
that the oil at the end of the dipstick was quite black. Dirtier looking
than my 10 year old Cavalier which has done 102000 and the oils always
looks golden The salesman said that this was quite normal as it is was the
first lot of oil in the engine. Before the car was sold the oil and filter
would
be changed as part of the usual Network Q service.

Should the oil in a new engine be black ?

Your opinions please.

Regards.

Old July 2nd 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 09:49:20 GMT, "Dave Dew"
wrote:

[...]

Quite normal on Diesels I used to have an Omega with the BMW engine
run it for 2 miles after changing the oil & it would be black.

Lenny

Old July 2nd 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default OT Engine Oill Colour in Vectra 2.2

"Dave Dew" wrote in message
[...]

It is not new it is s/h and done 4000+ miles.
I'm allways surprised how quickly the new replaced oil changes colour.
When is it due its first service and oil change, a year old or 10,000 miles
or more?
If you buy it I would make sure they do in fact change oil and filter, also
stamp log book to say so, they might say not due yet.
A thing I would be asking about when new did it have a 3 year warranty, if
so is this first owner only or passing to you.

Regarding Network Q I had one sometime ago which if I remember right said
they did 114 things. I think all they appeared to do was wash the outside.
Not sure about the oil/filter but looked clean and had a log book stamp to
say done a month ealier for previous owner. I was not happy about a couple
of things and took it in the day after I got it, was put right with no
problems while I waited, but engineer told me it had not been in the
workshop before!

Old July 2nd 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

Thanks Lenny and David. Your replies and others I have now had another NG
have dealt with my concerns. I was not aware of things like detergent oils
and it seems it would be quite normal now for some engine oils to be black
after 4800 miles. I have been using this garage for over twenty years and
do tend to trust them. The car is beautiful and is a good price. I was just
a bit concerned at seeing black oil after the usual brown/gold colour in my
Cavalier. The service interval is 20000 miles or two years but they assure
me it will be thoroughly checked over and the oil and filter changed.

Regards.

Dave