North West to Dover

Old July 3rd 05, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alec

Default North West to Dover

Travelling on Fri July 22 (start of school holiday!) to catch a ferry. For
those with recent experience of doing this route, is it worth staying on M6,
M1, M25 to Dartford crossing? I used to take M40, M25 (south) to M20 but I
believe there's severe congestion between M40 and M3. I'm booked on 2.40 pm
ferry, so will be leaving around dawn.
Thanks for any advice.

Alec

Old July 3rd 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Alec" wrote in message
Travelling on Fri July 22 (start of school holiday!) to catch a ferry. For
those with recent experience of doing this route, is it worth staying on M6,
M1, M25 to Dartford crossing? I used to take M40, M25 (south) to M20 but I
believe there's severe congestion between M40 and M3. I'm booked on 2.40 pm
ferry, so will be leaving around dawn.
Thanks for any advice.

Alec

I travel to Dover once a year and travel from Todmorden , Halifax , Huddersfield
, Lepton , junction 38 of the M1 , junction 31 of the M1 , Worksop , A1 A1M to
the A14 then on to the M11.

I don't have a big outfit , but you do get away from the problems of the M6 and
M1 .

In fact I'll be using that route ( solo ) ( or a fair chunk of it ) next month to
Rutland.

DieSea

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-4, 01/07/2005
Tested on: 03/07/2005 11:52:16

Old July 3rd 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Alec" wrote in message ...
Travelling on Fri July 22 (start of school holiday!) to catch a ferry. For
those with recent experience of doing this route, is it worth staying on M6,
M1, M25 to Dartford crossing?

I live in NE London and often use the northern arc of the M25.
If you are on the 2.40pm ferry I guess you'll be doing the M25 bit (M1 to Dartford crossing) around late morning time. The M25 shouldn't be too bad at that time. Times to avoid are the rush hours, (roughly 7-30 to 9-30 am and 15-30 to 19-30 pm). My previous trips to Dover have started at junc 25 of the M25 and for that journey I allow two hours.

Old July 3rd 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 02:06:57 +0100, "Alec"
wrote:

| Travelling on Fri July 22 (start of school holiday!) to catch a ferry. For
| those with recent experience of doing this route, is it worth staying on M6,
| M1, M25 to Dartford crossing? I used to take M40, M25 (south) to M20 but I
| believe there's severe congestion between M40 and M3. I'm booked on 2.40 pm
| ferry, so will be leaving around dawn.
| Thanks for any advice.

Starting further south in Yorkshire, we chicken out of that long drive and
use PO Hull Rotterdam or Hull Zeebrugge.

There is also DFDS Newcastle Amsterdam
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old July 3rd 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 3rd 05, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JSGJones

Several alternatives from Lancashire;

M62,A1.,A14, M11,M25,A2,M2,A2
M6,A500,A50,M1,THEN PICK UP A14 and continue as above..
I've used both recently over recent years.
JSGJ

Old July 3rd 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 02:06:57 +0100, "Alec"
wrote:

Travelling on Fri July 22

I'll be doing this route a day after you....

M6 to M1/A14 junction
A14 to Cambridge
M11 to M25 then M20

Took 10 years of trial & error to come up with this one, but it works
for us. I absolutely abhor the southern sections of the M1, and simply
won't use it. The A14 is almost motorway standard dual carriageway.
Last year Bolton-Dover (non-stop) average speed was 54mph.......