static caravan question

Old July 3rd 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

Default static caravan question

just bought one and noticed some of the plastic underneath is missing
intending to replace it with a staple gun and a lot of shuffling about
but was wondering if it would be a good idea to also staple sheeting across
the wooden braces and thus making a double membrane
i know i would have to cut holes opposite any floor vents

Old July 4th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "mindwipe" said:

just bought one and noticed some of the plastic underneath is missing
intending to replace it with a staple gun and a lot of shuffling about
but was wondering if it would be a good idea to also staple sheeting across
the wooden braces and thus making a double membrane
i know i would have to cut holes opposite any floor vents

Sounds to me as though you will be making fine nesting places for all
sorts of wild life if you do not completely close off the cavities you
will be making.
If done it should make the floor warmer in cold weather.

HTH John.

Old July 4th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

"John Colloff" wrote in message
The message
from "mindwipe" said:

just bought one and noticed some of the plastic underneath is missing
intending to replace it with a staple gun and a lot of shuffling about
but was wondering if it would be a good idea to also staple sheeting
across
the wooden braces and thus making a double membrane
i know i would have to cut holes opposite any floor vents

Sounds to me as though you will be making fine nesting places for all
sorts of wild life if you do not completely close off the cavities you
will be making.
If done it should make the floor warmer in cold weather.

HTH John.

thanx john
was thinking of just punching some small holes opposite any floor vents but
not over 1/8 inch each hole
sort of like a grille to match each floor vent

Old July 5th 05, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "mindwipe" said:

thanx john
was thinking of just punching some small holes opposite any floor
vents but not over 1/8 inch each hole sort of like a grille to match
each floor vent.

How many vents are there likely to be?
If possible I would make a simple boxed shaft to each so that they can
be checked easily. I think they would be there for, amongst other
things, avoiding or getting things like carbon monoxide away and I would
want to be able to see that the vent is clear and working. John.

Old July 5th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:13:13 +0100, "mindwipe"
wrote:

| was thinking of just punching some small holes opposite any floor vents but
| not over 1/8 inch each hole
| sort of like a grille to match each floor vent

Water will not *always* drain through 1/8 inch holes (surface tension)
1/4 inch holes minimum.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old July 5th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 5th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

wrote:

| was thinking of just punching some small holes opposite any floor vents
but
| not over 1/8 inch each hole
| sort of like a grille to match each floor vent

Water will not *always* drain through 1/8 inch holes (surface tension)
1/4 inch holes minimum.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Screensaver. also 200,000 amateur pics. Four new pics each day.

thanks guys will go with johns idea of a boxed shaft then
thinking about it any water that ran down the other way could also puddle on
the plastic membrane regardless of the hole size