MotorHome questions. Got one?

Old July 4th 05, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary

Default MotorHome questions. Got one?

Hi, Thinking of leaving caravanning and getting a motorhome, something
like the Autosleeper Ravenna which feels like our caravan but with an
engine which would be great for us. Expensive at 30k though but over
ten years I guess not so drastic as this will be used most weekends we
anticipate.

Any problems we should look out for or be aware of?

Any decent places to buy from?

Any decent forums for these?

Will the clubs, CLs etc still welcome us?

Thank you.
Old July 4th 05, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Gary" wrote in message
Hi, Thinking of leaving caravanning and getting a motorhome, something
like the Autosleeper Ravenna which feels like our caravan but with an
engine which would be great for us. Expensive at 30k though but over
ten years I guess not so drastic as this will be used most weekends we
anticipate.

Any problems we should look out for or be aware of?

Any decent places to buy from?

Any decent forums for these?

Will the clubs, CLs etc still welcome us?

Not got one, problem to us we only have one car would not want to do local
running about in a motor home.
When on site would not want to go local site seeing in it.
Lots of adverts about for sellers of them.
A few people from here went off and started thier own NG, do a seasrch of NG
list.
CLs your question infers you are a club member so look at you club rules.
Finally I know many who have motorhomes and they say they are great, but
caught one recently looking at caravans with a view to buy.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 4th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "David" said:

Not got one, problem to us we only have one car would not want to do local
running about in a motor home.
When on site would not want to go local site seeing in it.

I agree with Dave.
Not got one and would not want to lose the use of car solo when on site.

As an addendum to to all the constraints of height restrictions, I have
now met over half a dozen motorhome owners who found that they were
impossible to use in Ireland due to height restrictions set up against
the travellers.

HTH John.

Old July 4th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Gary" wrote in message
Hi, Thinking of leaving caravanning and getting a motorhome, something
like the Autosleeper Ravenna which feels like our caravan but with an
engine which would be great for us. Expensive at 30k though but over
ten years I guess not so drastic as this will be used most weekends we
anticipate.

IMHO for regular short breaks, especially if you're both working, a
motorhome beats a caravan hands down We went from caravan to motorhome a
couple of years ago and with 2 youngish
kids, both of us in full time jobs and using it mainly for weekends/single
nights away it beats the caravan easily. Insuring it costs less than
the car (300 pa comprehensive) and fuel consumption is similar to a car +
caravan. For convenience and speed of getting away it's much quicker, setup
on site or wherever you go is also much quicker, switch off the engine,
press the button to extend the step and it's done. If you arrive somewhere
late just climb in the bunks and sleep. Cycles are quickly attached to the
integral rack, waters already on board as is everything else, toys,
inflatable boats, sun loungers etc etc and waste takes a few days before it
needs emptying. No car to load up before you go.

The big downside is not having a car to tour around in while you're away.
It's not the hassle of packing up cos there is none, lock the fridge, wind
in the awning and drive off. What you get fed up with is driving a big
motor around country lanes and hunting
for big, safe parking spaces, bearing in mind that it's easy to break into
it and even the dimmest thief realises that there's a good chance a
motorhome in a holiday area has got some good stuff on board. This only
really comes to the fore when away
for a couple of weeks but as we only do that once a year we can live with it
because of how easy/possible it makes all the shorter trips throughout the
rest of the year. Once we're too old and crotchety to ride push bikes, when
the kids stop coming on hols with us or when we both stop working full time
we will most probably go back to a caravan but while time's tight and
convenience is essential we'll stick with the camper. It's also good for
daytrips from home to the seaside or wherever, you can arrive early, have
all your food with you, have a shower
or whatever and drive home after the crowds. If you don't fancy driving
home, or find a decent pub, just stay where you are. You'll find yourself
becoming quite itinerant, going out for the day and not coming back and just
stopping somewhere cos it's nice.
Any problems we should look out for or be aware of?

British vans leak.

Any decent places to buy from?

Germany

Any decent forums for these?

uk.rec.motorcaravans

Will the clubs, CLs etc still welcome us?

Yep

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 4th 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"David" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
Hi, Thinking of leaving caravanning and getting a motorhome, something
like the Autosleeper Ravenna which feels like our caravan but with an
engine which would be great for us. Expensive at 30k though but over
ten years I guess not so drastic as this will be used most weekends we
anticipate.

Any problems we should look out for or be aware of?

Any decent places to buy from?

Any decent forums for these?

Will the clubs, CLs etc still welcome us?

Not got one, problem to us we only have one car would not want to do local
running about in a motor home.
When on site would not want to go local site seeing in it.

You don't need to use it the same way you do a caravan. With a caravan you
book up a site for a few days then tour from that site to whatever you want
to visit, returning to the site each night. With a camper you drive to what
you want to visit and stay there or very nearby.

Lots of adverts about for sellers of them.

Same with cars but what's that got to do with the price of bread?

CLs your question infers you are a club member so look at you club rules.
Finally I know many who have motorhomes and they say they are great, but
caught one recently looking at caravans with a view to buy.

So out of many that like them you've found one looking at a caravan. Why
did you even bother to make such a ****ing stupid statement?

Andy R

Old July 4th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary

Thanks for that advice, very handy.