Poor construction

Old July 4th 05, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gwen

Default Poor construction

We have just removed the front of our caravan including the frame.

There was some rotten wood and hubby is now in the process of replacing
the bad for new. A big job, but more inspired because of the details
and instructions from other caravaners, many thanks for your help and
advice, especially Mary and Malcolm who have been extremly helpful and
supportive.

It's an 1991 Avondale Grampion and apart from the wet causing some
damage it looks as good as when she was built.

What struck us with shock, was the dreadful way the caravan was
constructed when we removed the front and frame.

I know the van has to be light, but some decent wood could have been
used for the frame, it looked like bits of rubbish used just to throw
the caravan together. There was staples every where and the majority
of the wood had been stapled together not screwed, it was some eye
opener.

I would like to know how the caravan construction industry can justify
caravan prices of 13000 upwards. If they built boats the same way,
they would all sink as soon as they put them in water, we have a boat,
we know.

Having seen several flat packed caravans over the years we've been
caravanning, we've come to the conclusion, surly the industry needs to
rethink about how their constructing caravans.

I'm interested to know other peoples views on the subject.

As prices go up and I hear more and more people tell me about the
problems they have had with their brand new caravan I shudder to think
how their building them now.

Is it about time we let the industry know what we think, or should we
just carry on allowing caravans to be thrown together?