Corrosion on outer metal skin of 1991 Swift

Old July 4th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Chamberlin

Default Corrosion on outer metal skin of 1991 Swift

Just been to look at replacing our 1991 Swift Challenger 450/5, but
very put off by the price of decent used vans with a similar useful
layout. So, I'm thinking about repairing the old heap for a few more
years family holidays.

The van has a lot of damp, including some very spongy stuff above and
to the rear of the door, which I'm sure I can fix with some hard work
and lots of patience. What I am a bit more concerned about is that the
outer metal skin has corroded right through (apparently from the
inside) in about four places around the offside rear side window, and
in one place below the offside front side window. My hazy
recollections of schoolboy chemistry suggest that aluminium doesn't
corrode in air - it oxidises and then stops because the oxide makes a
barrier to further oxidisation.

So, I have two questions:

1. How does this happen?
2. What is the best way to repair it?
3. How can I stop it happening again?

OK that's three ;-)

All help gratefully received.

TVMIA

David Chamberlin
Cambridge
Old July 4th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

Ok you are right about Aluminium, It does normally corrode so fast that it
forms a skin, however in permanent contact with water that does not occur
and water trapped between the skin and the insulation forms an electrolyte
and corrosion takes place. To make things worse ally corrodes much faster
when it touches steel. That forms a battery with the ally being
electrochemically removed as it forms the cathode. Well, once the damage is
done it has to be repaired, possibly by replacing sheets of ally. But make
sure that 1. No nails or screws (even better use stainless screws, which are
avilable from chandlers) are close to the surface, screw them below the
surface or punch in and fill holes with silicone 2. Glue the sheet in place
with a full covering of PVA adhesive to form a waterproof layer.

Robin

Old July 4th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff

When I repaired the front of my 1987 ABI, at every one of the points where
there had been through corosion, I found the head of a steel nail
underneath.
Geoff