Anyone know anything about the kits for stiffening up a bouncy floor.

« - | - »

Old July 5th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

Default Anyone know anything about the kits for stiffening up a bouncy floor.

My van, has, for a while had a rather soft floor, I've never
done anything about it as it has not worried me too much in
the past, and I was concerned about the damage there would
be to the floor covering as it's lino, I didn't want to have
to cover it with carpet as that seemed to be the only way
of restoring the floor.

But, the other day, having been concerned about this for about
8 years, I had a brilliant idea, after the 'repair' I could
cover the floor with lino tiles which (hopefully) would
restore the floor to it's former glory.

I understand there are kits for dealing with spongy floors,
has anyone ever used one?

How easy (difficult) was it to do?

How, exactly, does one use these kits?

How many holes would one have to drill, how big are the holes
and how far apart?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old July 5th 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff

Snipped from 'preloved' forum.....

Using the proper resin and syringe, the floor is drilled, with a grid of
holes, 6 inches apart in all directions, if you are doing it from
underneath, you will need a protective throw away boiler suit with hood, a
pair of safety glasses, gloves and mask.
you mark up the floor, drill the holes, have a packet of screws to seal the
holes.
You have 2 syringes filled with resin, you inject the first hole until it
comes out of the next one, when it does you stick the next syringe in it, to
stop it coming out, you hopefully have a friend with a screwdriver and screw
ready, you pull out the first syringe and stick the screw in the hole, you
fill the syringe, then inject the one still in the floor, till the resin
comes out of the next hole, stick the syringe in it & repeat this process
till its all done & the floor is a pretty grid of screwheads.
Inside the van plyboard is laid on the floor with heavy weights on it to
hold it down & stop it from bulging.
Ive never actually done it, they don't pay me enough, ive watched a few
times though, and its the worst job imaginable.
The last time, one of the lads got some resin in his eye & ended up in
hospital in agony, it managed to drip onto his safety glasses and somehow
got past them.
You dont replace anything first, this stuff is supposed to bond everything
together.......

also there is a kit for sale on eBay at the moment (sale closes
12/07) -Apollo Adhesives.

When I did a small patch years ago, I flooded the whole cavity through a
couple of holes with PVA wood adhesive, pulled it together with nuts and
bolts, and wiped off the excess glue as it squeezed out. A week later I took
the bolts out and glued wood dowels in place to fill the holes, sanded
level, and painted over. At least PVA is fairly innocuous.

Geoff

Old July 5th 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Kay

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

But, the other day, having been concerned about this for about
8 years, I had a brilliant idea, after the 'repair' I could
cover the floor with lino tiles which (hopefully) would
restore the floor to it's former glory.

Beat you to it. I did that two years back. Self adhesive vinyl tiles work
fine.

I understand there are kits for dealing with spongy floors,
has anyone ever used one?

Yes, it's a two pack epoxy adhesive that you can get from decent caravan
accessory shops (just ask for floor delamination kits). I got them from
Lowdhams in Huddersfield. A pack is about 30 - and it'll do about a square
metre or maybe a bit more of floor. Depending upon where it's spongy you'll
need one or more packs - and a couple of syringes used for injecting it. I
used two - and only *just* had enough to finish the job, about two thirds of
the visible floor area of a Lunar Saturn (15ft internal length). It's
better to do a belt & braces job than underestimate - and have to do it
again in a couple of years time.

How easy (difficult) was it to do?

It's messy. The process I used was (after removing carpet):

* Identify where the floor has delaminated and mark around the area
* Drill 8mm holes at about 100mm spacing across the whole of the affected
area. These must go through the top ply surface and into the insulation -
but NOT through the ply on the underside of the floor.
* Buy several bags of 8mm dowels from B&Q to fill the holes (shorter than
the floor insulation thickness)
* Get a cheapo plastic bowl to mix the epoxy
* Get some disposable gloves (or be prepared to get mucky or both)
* Get lots of kitchen roll for cleaning stuff & wiping up adhesive that gets
where it shouldn't
* Get a surform - or a power sander if you have a mains supply
* Brings lots of bricks
* Ideally you should support the floor from underneath - but I didn't & it
doesn't seem to have caused any problem

* Mix adhesive about half a pack at a time ......
* Starting at furthest point from the door & working quickly .............
* Inject adhesive into hole until it comes up through an adjacent hole
* Remove syringe and pop a dowel into the hole. Whack with hammer until
flush with floor
* Place bricks strategically as you progress between holes to weight down
the floor & prevent the upper ply surface lifting
* Continue until you run out of adhesive or finish the job, mixing new
adhesive where necessary

* Leave to set overnight or longer
* Use surform or power sander to remove any excess adhesive
* Buy suitable vinyl tiles from B&Q - and fit.

It took me a couple of hours to drill the holes (hand drill) and apply the
adhesive - another couple to sand away excess adhesive (what a pain!!) - and
another half day to fit the vinyl tiles.

The main gotchas to avoid are drilling right through the floor (though
that's not really disastrous), letting the adhesive set in a syringe (so get
a few, they're cheap) and getting the adhesive on your hair (unless you
really are in need of a hair cut).

The result - amazing. It works brilliantly well and looks great. It's not
at all difficult - just a bit messy.

Best of luck
Andrew Kay

Old July 5th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Kay

"Geoff" wrote in message
Snipped from 'preloved' forum.....

Using the proper resin and syringe, the floor is drilled, with a grid of
holes, 6 inches apart in all directions, if you are doing it from
underneath, you will need a protective throw away boiler suit with hood, a
pair of safety glasses, gloves and mask.

If you are doing it from underneath, you will need your head examining!!!
Quite apart from the sheer nastiness of the process, I really don't
understand how injecting adhesive from underneath will bond the insulation
to the upper plywood layer.

Cheers
Andrew Kay

Old July 7th 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy

Well I agree at first thought it seems daft but one of the manufacturers
recommends doing it from underneath - for the very good reason it saves
taking up floor coverings -

Bear in mind that carpets often are laid first in manufacture and are then
fixed under units and are not loose - certainly in my van the only way to
get to the floor would be to cut the carpet or remove the fridge oven and
sink....the soft spot is just there where the missus always stands....

Basically the kit makes use of a non-drip resin under pressure which floods
the cavity - then heavy weights are placed on the floor....or get the missus
to stand there overnight....

Details and instruction leaflet at :-

http://www.theglue.co.uk/DeLam_TX_Instructions.pdf

Old July 31st 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

"Andrew Kay" wrote in message
[...]

Does anyone know where I can get these kits within a reasonable distance
of Slough?

There used to be a caravan and camping place in Taplow, but they seem to
have moved a long way off.