Toilets again

Old July 6th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

Default Toilets again

I understand it's good practice to empty the toilet waste tank before moving
the van, which I always do. This year we're touring round Scotland and
stopping at 6 sites, so what do I do with the flush water? My flush tank can
hold 15 litter so weights around 15KG. With the toilet at the back of the
van would this make towing unstable, and is it best to completely empty the
flush tank before each move?

Old July 6th 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andrew" wrote in message
I understand it's good practice to empty the toilet waste tank before

moving
the van, which I always do. This year we're touring round Scotland and
stopping at 6 sites, so what do I do with the flush water? My flush tank

can
hold 15 litter so weights around 15KG. With the toilet at the back of the
van would this make towing unstable, and is it best to completely empty

the
flush tank before each move?

Well as you I empty before leaving site, but not the flush water, not had
any problem towing with it.
Would think travelling empty might be safer but by how much I wonder.
Thinking about when takeing my car on a sea car ferry I was advised to
travel with the fuel tank full. So maybe if you travel with the flush water
full, it might be safer than part full.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 6th 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:00:08 GMT, "Andrew" wrote:

| I understand it's good practice to empty the toilet waste tank before moving
| the van, which I always do. This year we're touring round Scotland and
| stopping at 6 sites, so what do I do with the flush water? My flush tank can
| hold 15 litter so weights around 15KG. With the toilet at the back of the
| van would this make towing unstable, and is it best to completely empty the
| flush tank before each move?

No. You need enough flush water to use the toilet once or twice during the
journey. Especially in Scotland where public toilets are IME a bit thin on
the ground.

It all depends on the weight distribution of your van and the position of
the toilet. If you can arrange the tow ball weight to be about 7% of the
weight of the van, while being *less* than the *maximum* limits given in
the van and car handbooks you will have no problems, with the toilet full
or empty.

On mine, with a rear toilet, where the tow ball weight is IMO too low at
only a 1-2 % of the weight of the van I try to tow with the flush tank and
waste tank *almost* empty, to control the tow ball weight.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old July 6th 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 6th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I would keep it full depending on caravan nose weight. I have a Bailey
Imperial with a very heavy nose weight so I try to put quite a lot at the
rear of the 'van; for example the microwave, all the water containers and
electrical cable and even the awning. With all these and a full wardrobe at
the rear I am still quite heavy at the nose. No problems with stability.

Old July 6th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Andrew wrote:

I understand it's good practice to empty the toilet waste tank before
moving the van, which I always do. This year we're touring round
Scotland and stopping at 6 sites, so what do I do with the flush
water? My flush tank can hold 15 litter so weights around 15KG. With
the toilet at the back of the van would this make towing unstable,
and is it best to completely empty the flush tank before each move?

There's no *need* to empty it unless you want to. My van has a rear toilet
and a high noseweight - which I can only keep within legal limits by having
the flush tank fairly full.

My first van had a toilet which re-circulated the fluid (and contents!) -
rather than being a cassette-type. Travelling without emptying that was a
disaster - especially if you used bio-degradable paper - 'cos the motion
made the paper disintegrate into a fine mush which clogged the filter and
put the whole thing out of action. But there's no problem with cassette
toilets - apart from one or two reported overflowing incidents.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 6th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Andrew came up with the following;:
I understand it's good practice to empty the toilet waste tank before
moving the van, which I always do. This year we're touring round Scotland
and stopping at 6 sites, so what do I do with the flush water? My flush
tank can hold 15 litter so weights around 15KG. With the toilet at the
back of the van would this make towing unstable, and is it best to
completely empty the flush tank before each move?

I wouldn't worry. 15kg is not a large weight, really, in relation to the
'van and it would need to be an already unstable outfit for it to present a
big problem.

I'd personally leave it full, or maybe just not re-fill it until I get to
the next site. I certainly wouldn't empty it every time, that just seems
like a waste.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!