Tenby via A roads ?

Old July 6th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
louis

Default Tenby via A roads ?

I am travelling down from the Lancashire in the north west to Tenby in a
couple of weeks and would like an alternative to the M6,M5,M4 route.

Has anyone done this journey using the following route :-

The A483 ie Wrexham,Welshpool etc then down to Bulith Wells and picking
the A40 up at Llandeilo through to Carmarthen then continuing on to the A477
at St.Clears striaght along to Tenby ?

Les

Old July 6th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:16:26 +0100, "louis"
wrote:

The A483 ie Wrexham,Welshpool etc then down to Bulith Wells and picking
the A40 up at Llandeilo through to Carmarthen then continuing on to the A477
at St.Clears striaght along to Tenby ?

My route from manchester would be motorway to Chester then A483 to
Wrexham Welshpool and Newtown and then A470 and A489 to LLanidloes and
Aberystwyth then down A487 to Cardigan and then onto the A478 to
Tenby.
I've driven it many times including pulling a van and it's an easy
drive and very scenic. I tried the route you described coming home
last time and queued on the A40 then found the road up to Newtown all
ins and outs and windy, if you get behind any slower moving traffic on
that bit of road, forget it you will find overtaking virtually
impossible. Your route is only 5 miles shorter but a lot more
stressful.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old July 7th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R L Driver

"louis" wrote in message
I am travelling down from the Lancashire in the north west to Tenby in a
couple of weeks and would like an alternative to the M6,M5,M4 route.

Has anyone done this journey using the following route :-

The A483 ie Wrexham,Welshpool etc then down to Bulith Wells and

picking
the A40 up at Llandeilo through to Carmarthen then continuing on to the

A477
at St.Clears striaght along to Tenby ?

Les

Its a route I do regularly and I would agree with Bill Lord, He didn't

mention Llangurig where you have to turn right, but other than that he is
spot on. To avoid traffic, and there can be plenty of slow traffic, I would
recommend travelling in the evening. In winter its possible to travel
between Newtown, where the hills begin, to Cardigan and only see one or two
cars.
steve the grease

Old July 7th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I am travelling down from the Lancashire in the north west to Tenby in a
couple of weeks and would like an alternative to the M6,M5,M4 route.

Whilst I'm sure A roads would provide a particularly scenic view, when
towing I would tend to stick to dual carriageways if available as a courtesy
to those who might get annoyed by slower moving traffic.

However, rather than going M6,M5,M4, it is probably quicker to go M6, M5,
M50, A40, A449, M4, which is, I think, all dual carriageway and avoids the
toll bridges. (If going by the toll, use the M48. The view is much better
than the M4.)

Christian.

Old July 7th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:38:44 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Whilst I'm sure A roads would provide a particularly scenic view, when
towing I would tend to stick to dual carriageways if available as a courtesy
to those who might get annoyed by slower moving traffic.

However, rather than going M6,M5,M4, it is probably quicker to go M6, M5,
M50, A40, A449, M4, which is, I think, all dual carriageway and avoids the
toll bridges. (If going by the toll, use the M48. The view is much better
than the M4.)

This route is for me coming from Rochdale more than 80 miles further
than the trip through Aberystwyth Which would make the route from most
places in Lancashire a similar 80 miles further.. From anywhere in
Lancashire down to Newtown the road is excellent with plenty of places
to overtake, and although there are short sections further along the
route where overtaking would be difficult they are always followed by
places where overtaking is easy. I would not even contemplate going
all thee way round the motorway and down the A40 for this reason.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old July 7th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 09:19:03 GMT, "R L Driver"
wrote:

Its a route I do regularly and I would agree with Bill Lord, He didn't

mention Llangurig where you have to turn right, but other than that he is
spot on.

Correct and my apologies for the error, but if from Newtown you follow
signposts for Aberystwyth you get on the route, but whatever you do
don't follow the signs in Ponterryd that show Aberystwyth via Devils
Bridge.

(remove the spam to reply)