Kirby Stephen

Old July 6th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BOTTLE

Default Kirby Stephen

We shall be travelling through Kirby Stephen (Yorkshire) at weekend, our
route instructions show that we must ascend a 14% incline, have never seen
this shown before and 14% does not seem to bad, is there any problems with
this
Thanks

Old July 6th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:28:17 GMT, "BOTTLE" wrote:

| We shall be travelling through Kirby Stephen (Yorkshire) at weekend, our
| route instructions show that we must ascend a 14% incline, have never seen
| this shown before and 14% does not seem to bad, is there any problems with
| this

Don't start worrying till you get a real hill say 25-33%.
If you can not do 14% stay out of the North.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old July 6th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 6th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy_R

"BOTTLE" wrote in message
.uk...
We shall be travelling through Kirby Stephen (Yorkshire) at weekend, our
route instructions show that we must ascend a 14% incline, have never seen
this shown before and 14% does not seem to bad, is there any problems with
this

What does the manual for the towing vehicle say? That's where you should be
looking.

If you do cock up and can't pull away on a hill, and there's no other
option, let the unit roll back and the caravan turn so it's at 90 degrees to
the car with the car still pointing up the hill. If you've got enough room
let the car become at an angle to the hill as well. Then, when you pull
away, you're not trying to pull the whole mass from a standing start up a
steep hill, you're getting part of it moving at a time and the couple of mph
you gain at the start is a big boost.

Please, if anybody replies to this post please snip my suggestion. I'd hate
to think of that sanctimonious **** 'David', who doesn't want to read
anymore of my posts, benefiting from it. With a bit of luck I'll be behind
him one day when he's stuck on a hill and I can hoot at him while he gets
stressed:-)

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 7th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Toolmaker

"BOTTLE" wrote |
We shall be travelling through Kirby Stephen (Yorkshire) at weekend, our
route instructions show that we must ascend a 14% incline, have never seen
this shown before and 14% does not seem to bad, is there any problems with

14% is 1:7 in old money

Old July 7th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

Reminds me of a time with my ex navigating as we got stuck on a hill (due to
council wagon in crawler gear) "Oh so that's what those little chevrons are
on the map"

Robin

"BOTTLE" wrote |

Old July 7th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:03:16 +0800, "Toolmaker"
wrote:

| "BOTTLE" wrote |
| We shall be travelling through Kirby Stephen (Yorkshire) at weekend, our
| route instructions show that we must ascend a 14% incline, have never seen
| this shown before and 14% does not seem to bad, is there any problems with
|
| 14% is 1:7 in old money

i.e not worth calling a hill (to a Yorkshireman)