Noseweight - again!

Old July 7th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Default Noseweight - again!

I have a Lunar LX 2000 525. I find it to be quite nose heavy and hard to
keep the noseweight down on, so much so that I find I have to load all food
etc at the back of the van on the floor - which is OK when travelling to our
first stop but not so easy when touring when it is stored in the appropriate
top lockers around the kitchen area. I have read recent posts about toilets
(mine is towards the rear so I don't bother to drain the flush tank to help
the nose weight) and also about spare wheel carriers, and it does seem like
it would be a good idea to fit one of these and move the spare wheel from
front to back. Would this make a small, medium or large improvement? I am
a little uneasy putting too much weight right at the back of the van in case
that added to snaking problems - a sort of pendulum effect. Is this a
legititimate concern? I would appreciate any comments/suggestions, and
other's experiences.

Keith

Old July 7th 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Stick the spare wheel on the floor of the van near the axle, this will be
far more satisfactory than fitting a spare wheel carrier under the van as it
will be too far towards the rear. Likewise gas bottles should not be
transported in the front locker if you do not have a dedicated storage
locker near the door of the van. You can buy little chocks to stop the
bottle rolling quite cheaply or use the caravan chocks.

--
All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

Old July 8th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

..
"Peter K L Milnes" wrote in message
. You can buy little chocks to stop the
bottle rolling quite cheaply or use the caravan chocks.

Shouldn't gas bottles be transported upright?

In other words, in the dedicated cradles in the front box of the van, if
that's where the manufacturer put it.

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere

Old July 8th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:53:23 GMT, "Budgie" wrote:

| .
| "Peter K L Milnes" wrote in message
| . You can buy little chocks to stop the
| bottle rolling quite cheaply or use the caravan chocks.
|
| Shouldn't gas bottles be transported upright?

No the cylinders should be *used* upright. Gas is drawn off at the top.
It is a very bad idea to feed liquid LPG to appliances designed for gas.

It is however a very bad idea to damage cylinders. I once took a dented
cylinder to the local Fire Station, asking what to do. The fireman
rapidly took several steps backwards, and refused to have anything to do
with it, mentioning bombs. The retailer eventually took it off my hands.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Old July 8th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 8th 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:53:32 +0000 (UTC), "Peter K L Milnes"
wrote:

Stick the spare wheel on the floor of the van near the axle, this will be
far more satisfactory than fitting a spare wheel carrier under the van as it
will be too far towards the rear.

A spare wheel carrier places the wheel in the middle just behind the
axle a perfect place to carry one, only problem is they are hard to
get our.

Likewise gas bottles should not be
transported in the front locker if you do not have a dedicated storage
locker near the door of the van.

This depends upon your nose weight, I carry my spare wheel, a 13kg
propane and a 6kg propane cylinder in the front locker with some
chocks, a Tv aerial and bits and achieve a nose weight of 70kg. I
would not wish to reduce this. So whether you carry gas bottles in the
front locker or not is not a question that can be decided with a
generalisation, it depends upon individual circumstances.

You can buy little chocks to stop the
bottle rolling quite cheaply or use the caravan chocks.

Gas bottles should never be transported in anything other than an
upright position, it is a hazard that is listed on every gas suppliers
information that I have ever read.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old July 8th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Peter K L Milnes" wrote in message
Stick the spare wheel on the floor of the van near the axle, this will be
far more satisfactory than fitting a spare wheel carrier under the van as
it will be too far towards the rear. Likewise gas bottles should not be
transported in the front locker if you do not have a dedicated storage
locker near the door of the van. You can buy little chocks to stop the
bottle rolling quite cheaply or use the caravan chocks.

I have a smaller Lunar (LX2000 430) with an Alko spare wheel carrier. This
'places' the wheel centrally just behind the axle. I carry 2 gas bottles in
the front linked up to a change over unit + a few other bits and pieces and
(with sensible load distribution of other bits) can always obtain a
satisfactory noseweight.

The down-side ..... well Imo if you do have a puncture you will need to get
your breakdown recovery team out to safely release the spare and change over
the wheel at the road side.

Richard