mains hook up question

Old July 8th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dudley Simons

Default mains hook up question

Hi All

I am currently a camper but lurk around this group intermittantly,
gleaning information about caravaning (my wife is keen to try it out but
is under the impression that a couple of hundred quid will buy a ready
to use 4 berth van and doesn't believe damp, delaminating floors and
water leaks actually exist!)

I'd guess that good sound vans do come up very cheap from time to time
but unless you are a caravanner or know someone who is selling such a
van how would you know - you don't see many adverts that say "the reason
this 20 year old van currently doesn't smell of damp is because we have
stored it under dust sheets in a dry barn for 3 months and will get it
onto our drive by the time you come to view it" or "with any luck the
thick new carpet we have put in will disguise the spring in the
delaminating floor". The ads always claim that the van is in
exceptional condition for its age and has never let them down.

I appear to be rambling!

Given the knowledge here and that the camping newsgroups tend to be
frequented by camping purists I have delurked and come here for some help!

I appreciate that many vans now have built in protection devices and
systems etc but there must still be plenty of people using 'old technology'.

I have been contemplating the luxury of having an electric hook up -
never had one before, I like the idea of being able to a leave a low
powered light (on a dimmer switch) on all night so my 6 year old son
doesn't throw a wobbly if he wakes up in the night and finds himself in
unfamiliar surroundings (like he did every night last year)

Also it would mean that we can have a light on in the evening and enjoy
the luxury of reading a paper or a book when he has gone to bed. We
found that the noise of the camping gaz lights was really irritatinglate
at night when the whole site is quiet. The prospect of being able to
run a powered coolbox or maybe pick up an Electrolux fridge and be able
to sit and drink cold guiness of an evening has not entered into the
equation at all, well not much anyway )

Question is - whats the deal with the various types of hook ups that I
see on ebay etc?

Ok so all those with no form of protection on whatsoever are no more
than an extension lead and you would need to be certifiable to use an
unprotected supply in a tent/awning/caravan.

However, I see that there are now loads of people selling cables with an
in line RCD which are considerably cheaper than the units with an MCB
and RCD mounted on a panel with sockets or built into a row of sockets.
So what is the difference between them and do I need the more expensive
unit or is the RCD unit more than adequate?

regards

Dudley

to reply by mail take out THE-TRASH

Old July 8th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

"Dudley Simons" wrote in message
[...]

I'll go for something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4197 758&rd=1
or
http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?s=M196&x=4&y=8

Old July 8th 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
arthur daley

I am inclined to agree but what I want to know is are the inline rcd
devices actually suitable for use as a hook up in a tent or caravan?
Are they just power tool or electric mower/hedge trimmer cables that
have been fitted with a different plug? regards

Dudley

Old July 9th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

"arthur daley" wrote in message
I am inclined to agree but what I want to know is are the inline rcd
devices actually suitable for use as a hook up in a tent or caravan? Are
they just power tool or electric mower/hedge trimmer cables that have been
fitted with a different plug? regards

Dudley

You can do that of course, but I would buy a unit that is specifically made
for a tent.

Old July 9th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pottsy

Hiya

MCB = minature circuit breaker, RCD = residual current device.
The MCB will only remove the power if the consumption goes above the rated
limit, while the RCD removes the power if (simplified) the current going
down the live side does not match the return down the neutral. The device
assumes the power is going to earth, possibly through a human and shuts
down.
The MCB will allow enough power to kill and is mainly in place to protect
the installation.
The RCD will switch off with only milliamps and is designed to protect life.
Both devices should ideally be as near to the power source so that the cable
and anyone touching it is protected as well.
Hope that this helps.

Old July 9th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:04:06 +0000 (UTC), "pottsy"
wrote:

Hiya

MCB = minature circuit breaker, RCD = residual current device.
The MCB will only remove the power if the consumption goes above the rated
limit, while the RCD removes the power if (simplified) the current going
down the live side does not match the return down the neutral. The device
assumes the power is going to earth, possibly through a human and shuts
down.
The MCB will allow enough power to kill and is mainly in place to protect
the installation.
The RCD will switch off with only milliamps and is designed to protect life.

Both devices should ideally be as near to the power source so that the cable
and anyone touching it is protected as well.

This is a very good point as for most of us the cable itself would be
unprotected totally..... hmmm need to do something about that. We
usually have circuit hreakers in our vans but is there something for
the source end of the cables I wonder?

Never really occured to me that, thanks old chum.