growth in toilet flush water

Old July 10th 05, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default growth in toilet flush water

I am new to caravaning but I think we have been following the
instructions correctly. I had emptied the flush water over the winter
and filled it at Easter. Now however when you flush the toilet small
black bits appear as well as the pink water.

When I emptied the flush I saw biggest films of black coming out of the
tube and then breaking up into small black bits. It looks to me as if I
have something growing in the flush water tank.

I have put the pink rinse additive into the flush water and though that
this was suppose dto get rid of any growths.

Any suggestions as to what it is and how to get rid of it.

Thanks

Steve Hinchliff

Old July 10th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to caravaning but I think we have been following the
instructions correctly. I had emptied the flush water over the winter
and filled it at Easter. Now however when you flush the toilet small
black bits appear as well as the pink water.

When I emptied the flush I saw biggest films of black coming out of the
tube and then breaking up into small black bits. It looks to me as if I
have something growing in the flush water tank.

I have put the pink rinse additive into the flush water and though that
this was suppose dto get rid of any growths.

Any suggestions as to what it is and how to get rid of it.

I contacted Thetford over this problem some years ago. Their suggestion was
that it is very difficult to prevent micro-organisms from 'colonising' water
systems when such systems are not regularly used. The answer: Fill the flush
tank with some form of sterilising solution (Puriclean or Milton) and leave
for a couple of days. Drain the tank by flushing (this agitates the water in
the tank and loosens the deposits clinging to the sides). Repeat this
procedure until all trace of deposits are gone and the flush water is clean
again. *Always* drain the flush tank when the caravan is not being used, not
just during the winter. It is when the conditions are warm that the
colonisation takes hold! I have followed this advice and have not been
troubled again by the black deposits.

Kev

Old July 10th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:58:44 +0100, "Uno Hoo!"
wrote:

| wrote in message
| oups.com...
| I am new to caravaning but I think we have been following the
| instructions correctly. I had emptied the flush water over the winter
| and filled it at Easter. Now however when you flush the toilet small
| black bits appear as well as the pink water.
|
| When I emptied the flush I saw biggest films of black coming out of the
| tube and then breaking up into small black bits. It looks to me as if I
| have something growing in the flush water tank.
|
| I have put the pink rinse additive into the flush water and though that
| this was suppose dto get rid of any growths.
|
| Any suggestions as to what it is and how to get rid of it.
|
| I contacted Thetford over this problem some years ago. Their suggestion was
| that it is very difficult to prevent micro-organisms from 'colonising' water
| systems when such systems are not regularly used. The answer: Fill the flush
| tank with some form of sterilising solution (Puriclean or Milton) and leave
| for a couple of days. Drain the tank by flushing (this agitates the water in
| the tank and loosens the deposits clinging to the sides).

If you can tow the van a few miles when full of (Puriclean or Milton) to
let it touch all surfaces. The colonising micro-organisms may be at the
top of the tank in the airspace.

| Repeat this
| procedure until all trace of deposits are gone and the flush water is clean
| again. *Always* drain the flush tank when the caravan is not being used, not
| just during the winter. It is when the conditions are warm that the
| colonisation takes hold! I have followed this advice and have not been
| troubled again by the black deposits.

I have only had this problem over winter. A few days/weeks not using the
van has caused me no problems.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk In Case of Emergency
Store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and
Old July 10th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 12th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

This one keeps coming up. I started to use the Elsan pink and blue fluid as
It is much cheaper than the Thetford and the problem disappeared and hasn't
returned in around 2 years and I always keep the flush tank full.
oups.com...

Old July 13th 05, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
This one keeps coming up. I started to use the Elsan pink and blue fluid

as
It is much cheaper than the Thetford and the problem disappeared and

hasn't
returned in around 2 years and I always keep the flush tank full.

Don't caravans come with the toilet that takes water from the main water
system??

you've got a water feed upto the taps at the bathroom sink, so it'd only be
a meter or so of extra hose to take the cold feed to the toilet, then
there'd be no flush tank to go manky at all, and one less thing to remember
to drain in winter.

Or is it only motorhomes that use the main water supply flushing thetford
toilets?

Old July 13th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:15:03 +0000 (UTC), "CampinGazz"
wrote:

Or is it only motorhomes that use the main water supply flushing thetford
toilets?

No it depends upon which system the caravan manufacturer chooses. My
caravan uses the main supply with no header tank.

(remove the spam to reply)