Alco stabiliser and bike rack- question

Old July 10th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bs

Default Alco stabiliser and bike rack- question

I have a Alco stabiliser on my Hymer caravan.......as well as a permanent
bracket fixed behind the towing ball that locate two vertical tubes that are
part of my bike rack designed for a 4x4.

The bad news is that the two vertical locating tubes will not allow the Alco
wide head to fit over the towing ball.

Does any one know whether I can get an extended towing ball that will fit
the Alco stabiliser?........something that would get the towing ball 3
inches further back and away from my bike rack bracket??

thanks

Barry

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Old July 10th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"bs" wrote in message
I have a Alco stabiliser on my Hymer caravan.......as well as a permanent
bracket fixed behind the towing ball that locate two vertical tubes that

are
part of my bike rack designed for a 4x4.

The bad news is that the two vertical locating tubes will not allow the

Alco
wide head to fit over the towing ball.

Does any one know whether I can get an extended towing ball that will fit
the Alco stabiliser?........something that would get the towing ball 3
inches further back and away from my bike rack bracket??

I would contact Alko with your problem.
I did read something recently about a 'spare part' to allow people with 4x4s
to adapt to use Alko stabilizers, maybe they have something for you.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 10th 05, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"bs" wrote in message
I have a Alco stabiliser on my Hymer caravan.......as well as a permanent
bracket fixed behind the towing ball that locate two vertical tubes that

are
part of my bike rack designed for a 4x4.

The bad news is that the two vertical locating tubes will not allow the

Alco
wide head to fit over the towing ball.

Does any one know whether I can get an extended towing ball that will fit
the Alco stabiliser?........something that would get the towing ball 3
inches further back and away from my bike rack bracket??

thanks

Barry

If your tow car is built after 1998 and is not a commercial vehicle you will
not be able to extend the towball more than 15mm in total from the towbar
mounting plate. I would have thought that a bike rack for the back of the
Hymer would make more sense anyway, let alone be legal.

Cheers

Old July 10th 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

I would contact Alko with your problem.
I did read something recently about a 'spare part' to allow people with

4x4s
to adapt to use Alko stabilizers, maybe they have something for you.

The new part is a removable handle to allow the use of the AKS2004 on
vehicles where the spare wheel is mounted on the rear door. I don't think it
will suit the OP.

Cheers

Old July 13th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

"bs" wrote in message
I have a Alco stabiliser on my Hymer caravan.......as well as a permanent
bracket fixed behind the towing ball that locate two vertical tubes that
are part of my bike rack designed for a 4x4.

The bad news is that the two vertical locating tubes will not allow the
Alco wide head to fit over the towing ball.

Does any one know whether I can get an extended towing ball that will fit
the Alco stabiliser?........something that would get the towing ball 3
inches further back and away from my bike rack bracket??

thanks

Barry

We have just bought a Bürstner with a Fiamma bike rack on the back of the
'van which seems to work fine. I think the Hymer will be as solidly built as
the Bürstner so you shouldn't have any problems fitting one to your 'van. As
someone else said you cannot pack your towball out so that it stands further
back, unless your tow vehicle is pre 'S' reg

HTH
Ian
--
Anti Spam applied

Old October 28th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lander

If you ever decide to change then consider the MAXXRAXX as they have special
components for exactly that problem. I have one, although just for a normal
hitchh. It's really strong and easy.