Avondale Osprey query please.

« dijon | Help! »

Old July 10th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Avondale Osprey query please.

Hi Folks
We are wanting a new van and really like the Osprey but unsure about the
legal length for towing.
The `Towsure matching` quote our dealer gave us had a note at the bottom
saying that`It is illegal to tow any caravan above 7m long not including
the draw bar (?) unless you are using a tow vehicle above 3500kg` now
our car is about half this and the van will be about 91% of the cars
weight. The brochure quotes the length of the Osprey as 7.08m but not
sure if this includes the draw bar. I assume `draw bar` means from the
front locker to the tow bar?. So not sure if I can tow it or not.Any
advice appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Old July 11th 05, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

In message , Steve
writes
Hi Folks
We are wanting a new van and really like the Osprey but unsure about
the legal length for towing.
The `Towsure matching` quote our dealer gave us had a note at the
bottom saying that`It is illegal to tow any caravan above 7m long not
including the draw bar (?) unless you are using a tow vehicle above
3500kg` now our car is about half this and the van will be about 91%
of the cars weight. The brochure quotes the length of the Osprey as
7.08m but not sure if this includes the draw bar. I assume `draw bar`
means from the front locker to the tow bar?. So not sure if I can tow
it or not.Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

From avondalecaravans.co.uk, the spec is internal length 5.5 metres and
external length 7.08 metres. It would seem that the external length
quoted is including the draw bar. Why can't they quote it as a shipping
length as other manufacturers do or overall length.

--
George Hendry

Old July 11th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi Folks
We are wanting a new van and really like the Osprey but unsure about the
legal length for towing.
The `Towsure matching` quote our dealer gave us had a note at the bottom
saying that`It is illegal to tow any caravan above 7m long not including
the draw bar (?) unless you are using a tow vehicle above 3500kg` now
our car is about half this and the van will be about 91% of the cars
weight. The brochure quotes the length of the Osprey as 7.08m but not
sure if this includes the draw bar. I assume `draw bar` means from the
front locker to the tow bar?. So not sure if I can tow it or not.Any
advice appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

The Osprey does not need a tow vehicle over 3500kg. It requires a vehicle
with a maximum towing limit equal to or exceeding the MaximumTechnical
Permissable Laden mass of 1500kg. That I believe is the law, although I am
still checking about the difference between 'potential weights' and 'actual
weights'.

It is recommended that you do not tow more than 100% of the kerbweight of
the tow vehicle if you are experienced, 85% if not, but these are
recommendations not law.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Old July 11th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Thnaks for replies chaps.
The length given by Avondale does seem a bit ambiguous anyway looks like
we will be ok to tow it.
Just wondering whether to get one now or wait til 2006 models come out.
Offered some good deals on Saturday by our local dealers on their
showroom stock but the wife is a bit iffy about display models ;-).
Cheers
Steve

Old July 12th 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Steve" wrote in message
Thnaks for replies chaps.
The length given by Avondale does seem a bit ambiguous anyway looks like
we will be ok to tow it.
Just wondering whether to get one now or wait til 2006 models come out.
Offered some good deals on Saturday by our local dealers on their
showroom stock but the wife is a bit iffy about display models ;-).
Cheers
Steve

Being 'iffy' will only cost money. The dealers will be very keen to move the
existing stock and the warranty does not start until you take delivery.
At the end of 2006 the gap in price between the 2005 bought now and the 2006
bought early next season will be considerably less than the extra you will
be expected to pay to own that 2006 model.

Cheers