Tunnel stopover

Old July 12th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim

Default Tunnel stopover

We are booked on the 5.00 a.m crossing later this month is there anywhere
you are able to stop at the terminal, any idea how long they would allow you
to wait before crossing.

--
Tim.
remove nospam to reply.

Old July 13th 05, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Tim" wrote in message
We are booked on the 5.00 a.m crossing later this month is there anywhere
you are able to stop at the terminal, any idea how long they would allow

you
to wait before crossing.

When ever i go abroad, i stop the night on dover quay side, there's
dedicated parking for motorhomes and caravans on the road side, and it's
free if you arrive after 6pm, and are gone by 8 am,

I know your going via the chunnel, but i stopped on dover quayside in
feburary this year when we were catching the 04:30 train, it's only a 15
minute drive from dover to the chunnel terminal, and is totaly clear at that
time in the morning.

I think they let you in 4 hours befor your boarding time, not 100% sure on
that tho,

i asked the chunnel people via e-mail if i could spend the night at the
terminal, and they said no, but told me that some people use the big
supermarket's car park that's on the next junction up,
not sure if the supermarket knows chunnel are telling people this,

i went expecting to stop at the said supermarket, but found it was far too
noisey for us when we wanted to get a good nights sleep, it's right by the
side of the road, and there were boy racers doing wheel spins around the
area and sometimes in the car park when we checked it out,

hence we drove to dover, where i have stayed for the past 4 years on the
quay side with no problems,

Head for dover ferry terminals, at the roundabout where the hover travel
terminal is on your right, turn right as if heading for that terminal,
You'll go over a swing bridge, and just before you go through the gates to
the hover travel terminal there's a road to the left, a little roundabout
down there, and that's the quay front,

The first 100 yards of parking is marked for cars and caravans, it's free to
park from around 6pm to 8am, it's all roadside parking, but the road is
pretty quiet, as the main road to the docks is the other side of the houses
on your left.

When leaving to catch the train, no need to turn around, carry straight on
down the road, and you'll come to a big turning on your left, about 20 or 30
yards up that road is the dual caridgeway, go left (only way you can go) and
you'll be back at the hover travel terminal roundabout you started at a few
hours before.. then make your way over to folkstone,

i took the back roads, and as i said, they were totaly traffic free, and
took me 15 minutes max to get to the chunnel terminal.

Old July 13th 05, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Tim" wrote in message
We are booked on the 5.00 a.m crossing later this month is there anywhere
you are able to stop at the terminal, any idea how long they would allow

you
to wait before crossing.

--

Tim.

The Caravan Club have two sites within easy distance. Blackhorse Farm at
Desole and Folkestone Race Course. Both sites are set up for early/late
arrival departure.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk